If you already have health insurance, does the new healthcare plan affect you?

We already have insurance through my husbands works, and we're actually pretty satisfied with it. We have no complaints and haven't had any problems. I don't want to change it or do away with it or anything. I'm not into politics at all, i dont watch the news ha. But I am just wondering, because I know there are alot of moms out there that do watch it and are keeping up..does the new healthcare plan affect you if you already have insurance??? Im not asking for this is a great plan idea! or noo its a terrible healthcare reform, im just asking my simple question.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Nobody knows how it will effect what portion of the population yet. The bill has not been signed and they are trying to mesh the House and the Senate bill together. I think it's fair to say that from what has been discussed that it will effect me and my family's insurance plan. DH gets our ins. through work and it's likely that because it is a PPO, we will be charged more for the plan we have. If they try to offer a public option it is even more likely that DH's work would drop insurance coverage for their employees and take the "penalty" for not offering insurance (since the amount of the penalty will be exorbitantly less than offering coverage) and we will be stuck either buying our own plan (if it is not illegal according to the bill), or be stuck getting on the public option.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• It is most likely that it will effect the lower middle class the most because they will not be getting subsidies for their coverage but will have to purchase their own policy from an insurance company with coverage determined by the government agency that is in charge of setting a standard of coverage that you legally must have. Since Ins. companies won't be able to exclude pre-existing conditions, all rates will likely go up. So those that already can't afford coverage will have to buy coverage or be breaking the law. If they don't purchase a plan and are found to be in violation of this unconstitutional law, they will have to pay a fine (that they probably can't afford either) or face jail time (where they will get free medical coverage on taxpayer's dime).

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I don't think there IS a Health Care plan that has been finished and published. I understand that youi can keep the Insurance you already have. The New Insurance is for people who are underinsured or not insured at all.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• More taxes will certainly affect you. So will a premium increase.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:59 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• things will change for all with or without. We all will be paying 'higher taxes'. " THAT IS FOR SURE"
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:30 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• The proposed plans will both raise costs. Not significantly, but some. Which will be passed onto the insurance companies, and therefor the customers. Both plans also call for fees to be put upon insurance companies for certain practices, but the insurance companies have already stated that they do not plan on ridding themselves of these practices. They will simply pass those fees onto their customers, as well. So, as a person with insurance, you WILL be seeing higher costs - in your out-of-pocket expenses AND in your premiums.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:38 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• If the option for employers to pay a very low fine of 850 a year per employee is an option it might encourage many to drop coverage. 7-12k a year to pay for one employees coverage is much less than 850 a year fine. Could be why Walmart and other major retailers have came out in support of the Dem reform bill. Other things that have been in the bills so far have been taxing cadillac plans, taxing employees on their insurance benefits, raising taxes on employers. I would say this bill will have an impact if Dems get their way on your plan. Employers have stock holders to answer to and will make cuts. Dems know this and don't care.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Didn't Obama criticize McCain for this proposal of taxing health benefits, only McCain was planning on giving a tax credit for health care coverage in your yearly tax return? Hmmmm, just more double standards for the left.

Anonymous

• None of us will know what is in the bill until it has been passed they are doing this behind closed doors in secret. That should tell anyone with at least one brain cell this isn't about us. So who knows what will happen to the majority of Americans who do have insurance who are happy with what they have. Until the Dems decide to tell us we won't know. I saw my Senator at church Sunday and asked him what was up. He said since he is a Republican he has been locked out of the process and has no clue what is going on with the bill. He said he knows threats and many deals are being made and he worries about what all of this will mean for us. It is sickening.
    Anonymous

• Anon 8:18, you are absolutely right. That is exactly where my family is. DH's company will not hire him on permanently so he does not get insurance. He makes "too much" for us to qualify for medicaid or for the kids to even have CHP+.  We can't afford to pay for insurance ourselves, but when this bill passes we will have to or get fined. Good job dems.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2010