What do you do when your kids don't want to study? And you get soo tired of repeating yourself to them...

I mean they make so hard for me to sit there and help them either they are not into it or they just don't want to do it...it is very discouraging for me as a mom my dh helps halfass just bc he feels like he has already done his part as far as working hard and bringing in the bacon and I am so appreciated but damn it sucks sometimes and when he does help he yells and threatens that doesn't help or make me feel any better. What do/would you do? Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• For the kid that won't study, an example.
    Kid: Mom, can I watch tv?
    Mom: No, you need to study. Your last test sucked.
    Kid: You suck.
    Mom: Yep. Go study.

later . . .
    Kid: Can I go play outside?
    Kid. YOU SUCK!
    Mom: Yep. Go study.

later . . .
    Kid: Can I play some games? (or) Can my friend come over? (or) Can I have a snack? (or) -- You get the gist.
    Mom: No, you need to study.
    Kid. Studying sucks.
    Mom: Yep, Go study.

later . . .
    Kid: What does this mean?
    Mom: Look it up, Try studying.
    Kid: ARGH!!
    Mom: Yep. Go study.

I'm totally serious. I find this works for getting them to clean their room also.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:12 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• mabe stay after school with them,try a different atmispher
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:15 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• let them go out and spend some energy first then try homework?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:59 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My son knows he cannot watch TV, play, hang out with friends or do anything until homework and his reading is done. He rarely complains because he knows my will is stronger than his on this.
    Anonymous

• Don't start homework right afterschool. Give them time to relax and run off energy after being in school all day. Have them do homework while you are making dinner. They sit at the table and do homework so you can help them IF they need it. Have them read the 20-30 minutes before bedtime. I do NOT force my child to do homework, I let him suffer the consequences at school. No incentive movie and snack day, no fieldtrips, etc. Then I take his computer and DS away.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• The space provided here doesn't allow me to provide a long and detailed answer. So I've provided links to 2 articles and a book that I have found to be of great help to me with my kids.

Motivating Underachievers Part I: When Your Child Says "I Don't Care"

Motivating Underachievers II: Get Your Unmotivated Child on Track before School Starts

The U
    Mom-Online

Answer by Mom-Online at 10:54 AM on Jan. 12, 2010