Can you offer some ideas for a difficult work situation? Feeling stuck in my field...

My company closed and left my DH and I jobless. He was unable to collect because he was part owner, but I was. It took him 6 months to find a job~he is an independent contractor w/no paid time off & no benefits. We're thankful he's working. I recently got a PT job in retail (what I've done on a mgmt level) at a starting position. Now that the holidays are over, my hours have been cut. I want to take some classes in a field where I can make more $ (i'd love to be a massage therapist or esthetician), but we have limited funds and I feel that taking out loans (if needed) would be irresponsible when we have 2 kids (11,15) t0 to send to college starting in 2 years. Do I wait and try to get a management position or switch careers? I have a BFA in fine arts so I'm not an office person, I like to be up and moving and helping people. I love art, fashion, skin care, crafts (I make/sell a bit),cooking and fitness. I'm 46 so college=yikes

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• You have a good degree. I think going to to cosmetology school would be a huge step down for you and a complete waste of money. Here are some ideas for what you can do with your BFA:

* Antiquarian Book Trade
    * Antiques Dealer
    * Architectural Conservation
    * Art Gallery
    * Art Investment
    * Artist Representative
    * Art Law
    * Art Librarian
    * Arts Organization Consultant
    * Curatorial Consultant
    * Freelance Collection Manager
    * Museum Work
    * Preservation and Conservation
    * Publishing
    * Teaching
    * Visual Resource Curator

The field you chose is one of the most open, creative fields of all. If anything, you should look into getting your teaching certification. Possibly open a Kindermusik franchise or work at one.

IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 10:41 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Hi I am in the professional salon industry, and massage therapy is a great choice, have you checked into a Pell Grant? The average massage therapist makes about 20-30 per hour, but it is hard work! Esthetics is an awesome profession, but very hard to build a clientele with the current climate, depending on what state your in you could go to cosmotology school and can do facials in most states with that! Then you would be well-rounded to do other services as well. You mention you were in retail management--do you have an Ulta or Beauty Brands in your area? They have retail postions, and in many cases for mangement, I just read an article that Ulta was planning on opening 1,500 more locations in the US in the next 3 years, hope it works out for you and sorry about the job loss!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:54 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• www.fastweb.com

I suspect that you would be a great teacher.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:07 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Thanks to both of you...so helpful! We do have a Sephora near us (15 miles)... In CT where I live there's a school that gives you a certificate in esthetics after 600 hours but..it's like $9,000.00. Don't know if I could get a grant, but will ask. There is no licensing in my state.
    To the sweet 1st poster:
    I wish I'd done more w/my degree sooner. I feel like I've been out of the art loop too long! Would need to go back for some training, but could I look into a childrens art center...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't have any qualms about taking out a student loan to better your education. Your kids will also be able to get financial aid, it might be loans, but that is their responsibility, not yours. Also, if you'd like, I do have this article which might help:

How to Get an Education Without Going to School

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:50 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I'm sorry to hear about your job losses. My DH was laid off last March and is only making HALF of what he used to make. We, like you are very thankful for his job as well. I recently started working from home to help us out. Have you ever thought about working from home? I am a stay at home Mom to a 2 year old and 10 month old. I work with a great team of Moms; we help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory! WEEKLY PAY! FREE website, training, and UNLIMITED support!! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS. The best part is I can make money and be with my Family!!!
    You can have the best of both worlds too.
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!
    Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Check out my website
    http://www.4MyFamilyandMe.com/

mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2010