What would you say to your child?

If your child told you...Mommy I promise I did do my best on this test and I know I did well.

Then the test comes with the grade and did not do very well.
What do you tell your kid I just said you must of not tried very hard to get a good grade then he says but mommy I did..(he looks very sincere) so maybe he did his very best but not good enough for the school.
I remember when I was in school I would feel the same way I always felt like I did my very best and when the grade came I did not do that good. Why is that?
Of course I did not tell him that...but what can I do to help him to feel good about hmself. It is a let down when u feel u do well and then nothing :(
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We would go over the test to decide what the right answers actually are. Then we'd talk about how he could do better next time. One bad test isn't going to hurt anything.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:08 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• WELL I GO OVER WHAT HE GOT WRONG AND SAY HEY WE WILL JUST STUDY HARDER FOR THE NEXT ONE. TELL HIM GOOD JOB. I NEVER WANT TO DISCOURAGE MY KIDS, WHEN IT COMES TO SCHOOL I ALWAYS TRY TO BE POSITIVE. I HOPE THIS HELPS.
    pepsigal1272

Answer by pepsigal1272 at 10:15 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Help him study for the next exam. Create flashcards and set aside a specific study time and go over his material each night. If he continues to do poorly after you know he has studied to the max, consult the teacher.

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My first instinct is to ask is this a one time deal , only one subject..or is this across a variety of subjects? If it's a one time thing. Discuss the right ansswers and do some one to some 'study practice' with him. If this is something that happens in just one subject, do some subtle probing...is it that he doesn't like the subject..or just doesn't 'get it'" and go drom there. If it is happening over a variety of things...consider having him tested for learning disabilities. My son has 3 major learning disabilities. 2 were caught very early, The third was not discivered until he was in the 5th grade. Once we knew about them and he was recieving special help to learn how to deal with them school and grades became way less of a fight. He had to learn he wasn't 'dumb'..he just learns differently and had to retrain himself and his brain. Good Luck.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:19 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• He may have very well have done his very best. Like you said, it might have been his best, but not what the school was looking for. I would sit down with him and help him learn the subject matter better. Go over the wrong answers and see if he knows why it was marked down. If he doesn't, then open up his text book or get on the computer and learn why his answer was wrong. It could be that he just doesn't know the material very well and needs help learning it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:34 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Be even more involved and find a way to help them learn and retain the information they need to learn. Every child learns differently your job as a parent to figure out the best way and work with the teacher so they succeed.
    Anonymous

• I think you got some great answers already. Keep encouraging him and work with him to do even better.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 1:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2010