what can i do?

so my dd finally slept through the night for the first time in months (aug. she got a virus and it's thrown her sleeping habbit off ever since)..but i saw a post on here yesterday that said to put a shirt that you've worn to sleep in on a pillow and stick it in bed with them and it worked..until 5 this morning when my 19 month old woke up..she didnt go to sleep til 9:30 last night, and she'll sleep in until around 8 if you let her..but again she woke up at 5 this morning, and crawled in bed with us and slept til 8....how can i get her to stay in her bed and sleep when she wakes up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can put her back into her bed every time she does it, close her door or gate her room. I suggest you move up her bedtime to a more appropriate time- like 8pm and be consistent with her bedtime and waking routine.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 10:12 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Just take her back into her room and let her know that, that is where she sleeps. That your bed is for you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:27 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Ohh and I disagree with a PP. My son is 16 months old and goes to bed at 11. There is no "Appropriate bedtime" for any child of that age. My son sleeps in until 8-9 am when he goes to bed at 11pm. He sleeps through the night because he has used all his energy and wants to go to bed when we put him down. If we put him to bed any earlier then 9pm he wakes up in the middle of the night and wakes up again at 7am. Not good for either of us.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:28 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I don't know either because my son is 2, about a month ago he got a virus that made him very sick and he hasn't slept through the night since. he goes to bed aruond8:30 and wakes at 4:30-5:30 - he went to bed at 7 one night and 9:30 another night and still woke up early. Normally he has a bedtime of 8 but I was trying to see if a later / earlier would help him sleep in mroe but Nope. plus, once he's up, he's UP.. no sleeping in my room will help him go back to bed. so at least your DD will go back to sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I'll chime in because my 2.5 year-old is also suffering from post-virus sleep issues. She's having new age-appropriate fears of monsters and possibly having new dream/nightmare experiences, but this really surfaced after she was feverish for about 4 days while we were staying with my in-laws -- we had to go in to her room and give her a drink of water and motrin -- before that, she was never, ever up in the night. We've been trying lots of different things to ease her fears -- but what's working the best right now is for us to offer to sit on the steps (right outside her room) for a few minutes. She's not allowed to talk to us, but she knows we're there. Since I promise her I will sit there, I do it each time, but she has no way of knowing for sure. This is a modification on what we were having to do at first -- which was staying in her room until she fell asleep. That wasn't a habit we wanted to keep up for too long.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2010