damn cat knows better and is still pooping on the floor

we had a kitten that recentaly started going on the floor,well we got rid of him and now the cat weve had for almost 4 years is going around the same spot.litter box is clean and everything. i know when he does it becouse he does it when we are sleeping and he will be hiding after he does it. so i know he knows better. there is nothing medicaly wrong with him.i have washed these spots in expensive pet carpet cleaners. what else is there to try?

angelairelan

Asked by angelairelan at 10:11 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Pets

• I am a registered Vet Tech. First off its sounds like a behavior problem. The only reason why cats go outside the box is they are MAD at something and they are telling you so. Suggestion is to buy another littlerbox. Have 2 boxes per cat. I know is sounds weird. It might work try it. Cleaning carpet with an Enzymatic cleaner. Its doesnt matter how much it cost you have to get the amonia out of the carpet. Dont let your cat see you picking it. He will think that he can keep doing it. Another reason is if you have had his routine out of wack. They get confused. Good luck. Try these things I have suggested one of them will work.

Danielle
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 11:34 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• You need to remove and replace the carpet. If enzyme cleaners are not working, there is something deep in the carpet and possibly the floor boards that is causing your cat to revert to his natural desire to shit on the floor. He does not, in fact, "know better".
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 10:18 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• In other words, if it smells like his litter box, It's going to be his litter box.

the floor boards that is causing your cat to revert to his natural desire to shit on the floor. He does not, in fact, "know better".

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Yes if you have cleaned the spots really well. You need to remove the carpet and replace it. you all need to treat the floor under it. The wood can also take in the smell.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I agree with PP. Animals have a strong smelling sense then we do. They can smell odors that humans may not be able to smell. If he is still smelling the previous cat or infact his own urine/fecese smell then he will continue going there.

JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:25 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Lock him in a room with the litter box so he can be reacquainted with it. Some cats like hard shiny surfaces and some like soft surfaces and yours seems to prefer soft. So, you should put him in a tile bathroom until he uses the litter box.

Either he needs to be retrained or something is wrong with him or the area he lives in. Some cats will not go if their box isn't "private" enough or other animals bother them.
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 11:02 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• the scent of their excrement is really strong and you can imagine that a cat's sense of smell is incredible.....so I would remove that portion of carpet and replace it.....I had to do this in several spots because my dog eats flowers, grass, anything and it makes her sick and she likes to puke on the carpet. Well the throwup left yellow stains on my rug and what i did was cut out that portion of carpet and replace it. Even though you clean it, the scent is still trapped underneath the carpet and the smell comes right back possibly as soon the carpet dries from being washed.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 11:30 AM on Jan. 11, 2010