Should I have this done?

After the birth of my second child, during my c-section, I had a tubal ligation done. We are POSITIVE we don't want anymore children. My OB told me that I had very vascular tubes. I'm very worried that the tubal is going to fail and that I am going to get pregnant again. I've thought about having a uterine ablation done as well. Anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Interesting you should ask that because I have been thinking of having an ablation done as well. Although I do want more children, getting pregnant is not a wise option due to the amount of c-sections I have had and pregnancy losses as well. I am greatly concerned with the prospect of getting pregnant with a tubal, especially since the long term rates of effectiveness are so poor (as low as 94% at 10 years!!). While it does not decrease your risks of having a tubal pregnancy, it does stop you from getting a period. I plan to speak with my doctor soon about getting this procedure. I know it is right for me.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 11:03 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I told my doctor to cut them and do whatever it takes to make sure I dont end up pregnant again,your doctor should've done this as well.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 12:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I had an ablation done in October. It's not something that will prevent pregnancy, though. You still have the possibility of getting pregnant, which would be extremely risky because instead of the placenta growing on the uterine lining, it will try to root into the scarred muscle of your uterus. If you're doing it to prevent difficult periods, I have to say it's amazing! You still need to have birth control though. My husband had a vasectomy.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2010