Sex offender link- ex friend's hubby is a registered sex offender. What should I do?

A mother posted a link to a registered sex offender website a little while ago. I went to the website out of curiosity and found out that the husband of a former friend is registered as someone who committed a crime against a child. This man used to pick up my children and take them to school with his own kids. Then I would pick them up and bring them all home in the afternoon. Up until maybe 5 years ago when I moved. Should I ask my kids if he ever behaved inappropriately toward them or leave it alone since I never noticed them displaying any behavior out of the ordinary?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• What do you have to lose by asking them to talk to you? It would be irresponsible to ignore this.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 11:04 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I'd ask. Hell yeah.. !! just to be on the safe side. I do know one of my husbands relatives is registered because he had sex with a 17 year old when he was 18 and the girls mother got pissed and called the cops and he got in a mess of trouble and they were really only like 4 months apart in age.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I think you need to find out what the crime was,,,,I don't think it would hurt to ask your children, but hopefull nothing happened! I have a girlfriend--her hubby has a sex offender record for having sex with his girlfriend when he was 18 she was 16,, the parents went nutty and pressed stat. rape charges, so for the rest of his life he will have this stigma....hopefully that may be the case here? Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:06 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I would. When I was younger I had a male babysitter. Well my Mom found out when I was a teenager he had touched some children inappropriately. Well I never remember him doing anything other then when I was older he would stand to close for my liking and would always touch my nose or check even when I told him not to. My Moms friend did not know till her kids were teens and got in lots of trouble. Then had a family theropy meeting due to one of the kids in trouble and she found out there that all 4 of her kids had him do this.

I would say talk to them and let them know why and if they do not want to talk to you about it to talk to someone about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Yes, talk to them.

Don't put words in there mouth, don't tell them why you ask, Just have a conversation about it. Let them know you are there, and no one can hurt you..

You never know why they have a record, or what the situation is, and continue on with your life, and leave it at that.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I would sit down and talk to the kids. It is a good time to talk and to tell them that someone you may trust could do this. It is hard but kids do get hurt by friends and family the most.
    Tell them to never be afraid to come to you and tell you if someone said or did something that made them feel uncomfortable.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:12 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I think that's kind of reaching if you ask me... you should have done your research way back when before you allowed any man to drive your kids to school. I think you acted irresponsible back then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Do you know what age he was when this happened? What if he was just a 19 yr old dating a 16 yr old for example & the parents of the girl got him in trouble? It happens. I talked to a woman on cafemom that happened to her son. He is now in his late 20's & can't get a job as a teacher because of something that happened with a girl when he was an older teen. He broke it off & the girl got mad & her parents got him arrested even though it was a consensual situation.

I would research it a bit more before I started asking my kids questions esp. if they show no signs of anything having happened.
    Anonymous

• Kind of a no brainer there, but YES!!!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2010