2.5 year old with chronic ear infections - I'm scared of ear tubes.

My son has had chronic ear infections since he started day care about a year ago. We finally were recommended to an allergist and he is allergic to dust mites so changed all bedding etc. Has anyone else had this problem with allergies causing ear infections and fluid in the ears. He is so active in the water I am scared of ear tubes. I also want to get him off the nasonex. HELP. We have been to two ENTs and just met the allerist last week.

momofduckling

Asked by momofduckling at 11:32 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Health

• My son started getting infections when he was 4-6 months old and he never has had tubes. These days I don't think they rush to put tubes in as quickly as they used to. And I swear my son would have been a kid who got em if they did. He used to get quite a few in both ears, a year. He's 8 now and still manages to get at least one double-ear infection a year and we just go and get antibiotics and it clears up. A lot of time it's just a matter of keeping the allergies at bay and keeping the colds to a minimum so all that mucus dosen't build up and cause the fluid to back up in the ears. So, when he starts to get stuffed up make sure to give him something to relieve that stuffiness, trust me, it helps. Lots of luck!!!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:42 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• you could try a chiropractor. get a consult first... if you are sure about the dust mite allergy causing the ear infections, then chiropractic may not be very effective. That being said, regular chiropractic care can boost your ability to fight off infections...i'd try a chiropractor before tubes.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I agree with happy2bmom25. My sister in law took my nephew to the chiro and they treated him and he got immediate relief. He was just over 1 at the time and did not even cry. It's worth a shot!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:50 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• i also took my son to the chiropractor for ear infections.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• make sure no one is smoking around him or even in the same house. my cousin got tubes in his ears bc of it.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Eliminate dairy and give him a spoonful of local honey every day.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2010