labeling in school???

next yr(middle school)i found out that the kids are being put into 3 groups.above average.regular pop..and in reg pop they are going to put them in 2 gategories .middle of the road average.and the trouble makers.kids who dont care.if your kid is in the trouble makers and the next yr you want her to move up you cant because these kids havent token the same courses and will be behind.so they will be labeled all through school.so a child that is a b student who is a trouble maker will be in the lowest level. the school is having no levels.and really labeling these kids..i know this is confusing...but what does everyone think????????

cleo1977

Asked by cleo1977 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Gee anon that was rude. I understand what she is saying. I dont think that it is right that they are labeling them. They did that at my junior high and they changed it because it made a lot of kids far behind in their school. I would make a complaint to the school board.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Anon that is so rude.My junior high did that. It caused fights!GL and ignore the anons that bully. They need to either answer the question respectfully or move on. Post this on your refrigerator anon, so you don't forget! Be respecful to other women.
    Anonymous

• I'm not following. Most school group kids by grades and state testing so kids that learn at a certain pace can be with kids that also learn at that pace. What your saying makes no sense and I don't see how a school could get away with that. What if a kid happens to be a strait A student but is also a trouble maker? Was some kind of notice sent home to the parents or is this some crap your kid came home and told you. If you just "heard it through the grapevine" call the school and find out what is really going on because this sounds like something a middle schooler made up.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• This happens all the time. Starting in middle school, the kids who learn quicker actually get a chance to move ahead instead of having to move at the pace of the general population. I actually think it's a good thing, but maybe that's because I was always ahead? I will fight hard to make sure that my kids are put in the most challenging classes (they are classified AG and can handle it - if we find out they can't, we'll drop back and punt), but I think it's important that they get on track to get the classes they need in middle school so that they have those classes behind them and can start at the highest level for highschool.
    Yes, it gets confusing and it starts early if you want to get your kids into a good quality university. Of course, a lot of parents are choosing to send their kids to community college for the 1st 2 years where they could get in those classes if they don't in highschool

Answer by missanc at 12:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• thanks everyone except anon 1204......my daughter has an iep but wants to be at school and is a very good child.i have her core meeting next week but it is said i wont find out what level she will be at.one of the moms who does dosen at the schools found this out.the pricipal of the jr high just moved from the other jr high and they want to try it out here.i can tell you that the kids that are "naughty arent the once with the lowest income bracket....they are the ones whos moms will bitch so this outa be good next year...i am also not saying that the ones in the lowest income bracket dont care about there kids...its just that for some reason in our town money talks.
    cleo1977

Answer by cleo1977 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• What's an iep?
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• IEP = individualized education plan

Answer by missanc at 12:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Hi Everyone,

We've removed several answers from this question, and wanted to explain why.

We'd like Answers to be a place where everyone feels comfortable asking and answering questions. Ideally, when a mom posts a question in Answers, she'll get responses from other moms that address the question she's asking.

With that in mind, we have removed several answers from this question because they were personally attacking other members instead of discussing the original post.

-> The CafeMom Admin Team
    CafeMom Admin

Answer by CafeMom Admin at 1:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• i think it is great for the kids who try and terrible for the trouble makers. now i am a teacher, title one (that is like a tutor who is paid like a teacher) and i take "trouble makers" out of the 2nd and 3rd grade class and teach the same stuff at the same pace to them. they love me and do great work and are mainly smart kids who just have too much energy. if the school doesnt have the funding to do that, those kids just dominate the teacher's time managing them. the kids in the regular classroom have benifited and the kids i take have too. but you really need a teacher like me who --- likes those kids.. my lil brother was one of them so i see him in all their little faces and i try to push them everyday --- but to put them in all the same classes all day.. that is completely different than pulling them for core subjects.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2010