4 month old odd bms

My 4 mo old breastfed son has awful smelly, runny dark green bm's. They usually happen every 2 - 3 days (but not always). He is also not sleeping well - waking every 2 -3 hours at night and never longer during the day and seems to be wanting to eat every 2-3 hours all day/night. I have tried a complete non-dairy diet and it didn't help the problem at all. He also spits up a lot - almost every feeding even though he is on Zantac. Does anyone have any advice. He is a fussy baby as well.

Val1313

Asked by Val1313 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The dark green is caused by iron. Try eating a little less iron. Also some children start teething when they are only 4 months. Have you checked this. That caused my son to spit up a lot more.
    Anonymous

• The poop and sleep patterns sound totally normal to me. My son is 14 weeks and breastfed and eats every 3 hours during the day (sometimes more) and wakes up usually 2 to 3 times at night (between 11ish and 7 when I am sleeping). My little one does spit up a little, but not much at all however, but sometimes with reflux (from what i understand) spitting up is common even with medication. I belong to a baby group here where some of the moms have started a little bit of cereal for their reflux babies, so maybe you could talk with your doctor and see if there is anything else you can or should be doing.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 12:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• your child may be fussy because the zantac is not working... maybe try another brand? my daughter did awesome on axid. :) good luck hun
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 11:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2010