4 month old odd bms

My 4 mo old breastfed son has awful smelly, runny dark green bm's. They usually happen every 2 - 3 days (but not always). He is also not sleeping well - waking every 2 -3 hours at night and never longer during the day and seems to be wanting to eat every 2-3 hours all day/night. I have tried a complete non-dairy diet and it didn't help the problem at all. He also spits up a lot - almost every feeding even though he is on Zantac. Does anyone have any advice. He is a fussy baby as well.

Asked by Val1313 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The dark green is caused by iron. Try eating a little less iron. Also some children start teething when they are only 4 months. Have you checked this. That caused my son to spit up a lot more.

• The poop and sleep patterns sound totally normal to me. My son is 14 weeks and breastfed and eats every 3 hours during the day (sometimes more) and wakes up usually 2 to 3 times at night (between 11ish and 7 when I am sleeping). My little one does spit up a little, but not much at all however, but sometimes with reflux (from what i understand) spitting up is common even with medication. I belong to a baby group here where some of the moms have started a little bit of cereal for their reflux babies, so maybe you could talk with your doctor and see if there is anything else you can or should be doing.

Answer by kitten_shuga at 12:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• your child may be fussy because the zantac is not working... maybe try another brand? my daughter did awesome on axid. :) good luck hun

Answer by icn_mom at 11:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2010