My daughter is 19 months old and i feel it is time to wean her. I have soley breastfed her all her life-nothing but the breast! lol. She is just so bright and big-(not big is size but big as in old) she does not act like a baby- she is a big girl and so mature, and had she been a boy i'm sure i would've weaned at 1 yr.

Help on weaning off the breast

Captain44

Asked by Captain44 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you find a way to wean, let me know! My son is 15 months old and still has to have his bedtime feeding!
    INmommyof1

Answer by INmommyof1 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I might be hard but simply STOP!
    MommyInfinity

Answer by MommyInfinity at 9:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Just start substituting one meal at a time with baby food or solid food. Take away one breastfeeding and give her food instead and do that for about a week and then take away another and substitute it with a food...Before you know it she will be down to 1 feeding which for me was always the one right before bed time and that one is the hardest. You'll just have to give her a sippy cup with cows milk in it (the nuby worked good for me) and let her know that it's that or nothing. It will be really hard, but it has to be done.
    DevinAnnesmom

Answer by DevinAnnesmom at 2:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• hmm wish i knew what to tell you. dd is as much on the boob as she was when she was tiny 5x a day feedings sometimes and sometimes up to 3 a night. I don't want to wean her yet but don't need to have to feed her this much,either!
    karrey

Answer by karrey at 4:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I saw that your daughter is 19 months old. I don't know why your doctor never told you that nutritionally, at 19 months old, she is not getting everything she needs from breastmilk. Are you supplementing with iron or anything? At a year, breastmilk is supposed to be supplemented with solid food for a nutritionally sound diet. Keep this in mind when you are weaning her. She needs more variety so she can get all the vitamins and minerals she needs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2008