What is the chance of something going wrong with ear tube surgery for a child?

My 2 yr old has surgery set for Feb. 24th to have tubes placed in her ears. I will be then only 5 weeks away from having my baby. I worry that something could go wrong and she could develop an infection or something and then I would be stuck not only stressed out and worried about my baby girl, but also that I might not be able to make the hour drive to the hospital where we have to get the surgery done. What are the chances of negative results form the surgery and has anyone ever had to have this done for their kids?

What kinds of follow up appointments will we be looking at, etc?

Thanks!

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 12:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 2 kids..each 2 sets of tubes...not one single issue. The surgery itself is really a quickie 20 mins, Afterwards we hjust had to use silcone ear plugs (doesn't go IN the ear..covers the outer opening. Whenever they were in a bath or shower. Our problems only happened when the tubes came out the first times. They were reinfected within 3 weeks. By the time the last set fell out they had grown enough that their eustachian tubes were draing well on their own. Before tubes my son had a 40% hearing loss because of chronic infections and fluid. 6 months after his last tube came out his hearing test -no loss.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:39 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My oldest son had tubes put in 3 times (they kept falling out) and my younger son had them put in as well. They never had any issues with it - it was almost painless and very quick. We had one quick follow up for each.
    Even if you don't have tubes, she could still have an ear infection when you give birth. My oldest (before tubes) had an ear infection when I brought my 2nd home from the hospital!
    But there shouldn't be any problems with the tubes. You can ask your dr if you want percentages, but I've never heard of anyone having problems.

Answer by missanc at 12:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Im not sure about the risks or the follow up but i do know that my cousin had to get that done a few times. And she was just fine. And she is doing great now. She got it done the first time when she was about 2 because there was so much fluid in her ears that she almost was deff. And now she can hear great and dosnt have a single problem. Please dont stress yourself out about it. Do some research. Call the doctor if you have questions. They will take the time to answer you. But your little one can tell when you are stressed and worried. Dont show her that you are scared about it because then she will get scared.
    Anonymous

• Oh I don't show her that ti stresses me out. I already know after two kids that they can tell what is going on with mommy, lol. And she is having the surgery because she is almost deaf from the fluid as well. She failed every single hearing test they performed and the doctor looked amazed that she is talking at all.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I have never heard of a single issue with this surgery, and I know a ton of kids who have it done. Mine haven't needed it because we see a chiropractor.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• my dd has tubes put in at about 9 months old...the surgery is quick only takes about 10 min...we had no complications and they r very rare... follow up appt r just to look at the ear and also once check to make sure hearing is where it supposed to be...everything will b fine..my daughter is almost 15months and is a normal toddler
    rellcinko

Answer by rellcinko at 3:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2010