natural way to get rid of postpartum depression?

My doc thinks i have postpartum depression. I had my baby dec 27. around my 9th month i got incredibly irritable and whiney. Everything made me cry. After I had the baby it never went away. Nothing upsets me but the thought of being alone. DH got a week off work. When he had to go back I was freaking out. My Mom decided to go to the beach with her boyfriend and even after begging her not to go she still went and I was freaking out about being completely alone with the baby. Im a first time mom and Im scared. my doc put me on prozac after telling me it may cause me to think of suicide and hurting my baby... also wanting to sleep for about a week or vomit. I dont want to hurt my baby or myself at all. I Love being around my son, and taking care of him. I just feel I need to know I have support there. So I refuse to take the prozac cause I dont want those feelings Id rather just cry it out like i have been. contd

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• There is nothing like a good cry anyway haha.. Anyway is there a natural or atleast safer way to fix this “depression”? Is it even depression if im happy? Im happy I just get scared and nervous at the thought of being alone. Ive been alone the past 2 days now and things are going good!
    Anonymous

• look into getting a pet,our cat was actualy realy good when our baby came,the cat is still protective over baby,and when she was a new born the cat layd at the edge and never by the baby,just were he could see baby and runs to her every time she cries.i wouldnt take the meds either, i have family that take that stuff and my personal opion is it does make it worse. ppd will fade after time.mabe try looking up a play date with someone in ur area
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:31 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Being able to spend time outside and getting some exercise would be your best bet, but it's FREEZING here, so I don't know how practical that is. Exercise is one of the best natural remedies you can try for depression, also make sure you are eating properly and that you are getting some sleep (easier said than done).
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 12:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I would say that exercise is a great way to get those endorhines going and curb some depression. But don't be too proud to take a med hon, its okay to have a good cry, but if you're crying constantly, you should think about giving the Prozac a chance. It may be worth it in the long run. And, if its just post-partum, it won't last forever. Good luck!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• **endorphins

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I think your depression is the result of fear and probably doesn't have a thing to do with anything else. I would not want to take drugs for it, but I would want to deal with the root of it. Since your mom and your husband are both unavailable, look for an experienced mom who will serve as your support system and advisor. Look for a neighbor, an aunt, a cousin, or anyone who has experience with a little baby. Tell her you are scared and you need to know there is someone upon whom you could depend in an emergency situation. An emergency doesn't mean it has to be a serious problem, just one that you don't know how to handle. I think there are any number of ladies who would be priviledged to serve in that role for you, so ask everyone you know. If you have a girlfriend, ask her mom if that's the only option you have. Every first-time mom is a little scared. Sounds like you may need a little extra, but that's okay.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I'm not a psychiatrist but what you have sounds more like normal new mom anxiety than postpartum depression to me. Explain to your family how you feel and tell them that you need some extra support right now until you get the hang of things. Just watch for any disturbing thoughts. If you do start thinking about hurting your baby or yourself call you doctor right away! They will NOT try to take your child away from you or treat you like a crazy person, so don't worry about anything like that (a lot of moms don't report PPD because they fear this) Postpartum depression is very treatable and you may have to go on medication for a while but it's usually not permanent since it's usually caused by hormonal changes in your body. Even if you're just feeling overwhelmed seeing a therapist might not be a bad idea.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I think that the lack of support is manifesting these symptoms. I went through the same thing with my first. Getting out of the house helps a lot (I had my first in Alaska, so I went to the mall), and getting more help from your SO. Perhaps he call call you at lunch time, and make sure to go home directly from work and help with the house keeping (clutter and a looming chore list can also contribute to the feeling of being overwhelmed). Bfing can also help as it releases "feel good" hormones.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2010