My son is four years old and were expecting a little sister for him in a few months. I have been trying to potty train him for two years. It all went down hill once he started school for speach. Can anyone help me get him poty trained before the new baby comes? Its becoming very frustrating.

princesswitch35

Asked by princesswitch35 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If I were you I would wait till after baby comes. He will take a step back again. When child have new stessfull situations to them they always take a step or two back. So something like potty train. can back fire. I know you want him potty trained before baby comes but if you wait a little bit after baby. Time for him to get use to the new baby and new eniviroment that baby brings you will be more sucessfull. But this is just my opion.
    Anonymous

• Wait til the baby comes!?!? Are you crazy?! 4 yo's it's waaaay past time!!! See this is what happens when mom's a re like,"Oh I let little johnny decide when it's time to potty train, blah blah blah"
    Just keep at it. Offer praise when he does go to the potty, take him there every hour on the hour, offer stickers or a small treat(like one M&M for peeing and 2 M&M's for pooping. Do it now or your going to regret it later when you have 2 kids in diapers and a newborn being very demanding of your time, girl, your going to be too damn tired to potty train after the baby is born!! Talk to the speech therapy people. If they're not taking him to the bathroom, CHANGE SPEECH TEACHERS or report them to a supervisor!!!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• What are you doing now? Does he wear diapers, pull ups what are his options for potty. My whol ehting with potty training is be consistent. My son doesn't get the option to wear a diaper EVER (only bedtime). That is the only way they will learn IMO. 4 is wayyyy too old to not be potty trained. Sounds like a parenting problem not a child problem.
    Anonymous

• Wow, way to offer helpful support, ladies. It's normal to have regressions with new events -- like school, like new babies. That's not a reason not to train, and it's not a reason to get totally discouraged. I do agree with the above poster that the best way to help them learn is to make underwear the only option. If you have some time to spend at home with him, then just put him in underwear and don't take him to the potty at all. Just keep the potty close and remind him that where pee pee goes. If he starts having an accident, move him there. Don't yell or make a big deal, just remind him again... opps, pee pee goes in the potty, not in your pants. If he's in a diaper or pull-up, he has no reason not to pee in it. Just be consistent and have confidence in him. Kids can sense that.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I put him in a pull up when we run erans but i try to have him in underwear as much as possible. Once we started him in school for his speach he was almost there but it went backwords because the school wasnt helping. Been trying ever sence.
    princesswitch35

Answer by princesswitch35 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My dd just turned 3 in Nov. and we have been trying to potty train her and we are having a heck of a time as well. We have tried the treat trick, the hour thing and just about anything else you could imagine. My mom even decided that she was coming to get her potty trained (because obviously I wasn't capable) and failed. My dd is extremely strong willed and stubborn, I am really at my witts end because I don't want to be the "terrible" mom who has a 4 yo who doesn't use the potty. It seems like some days she will go to the potty all day and have like no accidents and then the next day she will pee her panties every time. So you aren't alone, I feel your pain, and don't think that it makes you any less of a mother then the next person who has a peeing child (it's really over-rated anyways haha) Good Luck :)
    Bizkviper

Answer by Bizkviper at 7:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2010