Sodom and Gomorrah

Why did God destroy these cities?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Anonymous
    awesome I read the story and didn't get oh God hates gays! That's usually the message, I got that they were just uncaring and sinful. Thanks ladies

They were haughty and did "detestable" things before me.
    "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable" (Leviticus 18:22) and "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads" (Leviticus 20:13).
    m2KnL

Answer by m2KnL at 1:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• "But the men of Sodom [were] exceedingly wicked and sinful against the LORD." Gen. 13:13

"As Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire." Jude 1:7
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:55 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• AND

Ezekiel 16:49-50 "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. 50 They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen."

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• awesome I read the story and didn't get oh God hates gays! That's usually the message, I got that they were just uncaring and sinful. Thanks ladies
    Anonymous

• It was more then just homosexuality that was sinful. And also aren't we under Grace now? So those old rules don't apply. People are born gay, there are those who choose but there are those who are born.
    Anonymous

• "It was more then just homosexuality that was sinful. And also aren't we under Grace now? So those old rules don't apply. People are born gay, there are those who choose but there are those who are born."

They were wicked overall, but homosexuality was a huge part of it. Some people say that it was because they weren't "hospitable" to the angels. But that is not true, because God had decided to destroy them before He sent the angels. You can see the conversation God has with Abraham about it in Genesis 18, as Abraham asked God to spare them for 50 righteous or even ten righteous people. So they hadn't yet been "inhospitable" to the angels, if that is any way to describe how they acted anyways!!! I wonder if that defense would work in our court system? "I was just inhospitable to those men" -- I don't think so.

Yes, God loves everyone, but homosexuality is also forbiden in the New Testament as well.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• 1 Cor. 6:9-13 lists homosexuality along with many other sins common to people, that will prevent us from going to heaven if we don't repent and ask forgiveness for."Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God."

Notice that Paul says that "such were some of you" --that is where grace comes in!!! That God loves us, He washes us, sanctifies us, and justifies us. He makes us new!!!

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• What okmanders said.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 2:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• The disciple Jude explained that this was because their inhabitants “gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion.” Jude adds that their destruction serves as “a permanent warning.” Since this account and other similar ones have been “written for our instruction,” “for a warning to us,” the moral lessons coming from them are still valid. - Jude 7; Romans 15:4; 1 Corinthians 10:11.
    JWMum

Answer by JWMum at 2:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Since homosexuality is a sin then why are people born gay?
    Anonymous