science

My son has a 5th grade science fair project he needs to do on jan 28 and were having a hard time thinking of something clever but easy to show. Anyone have some suggestions? And it would also be beneficial to us if it was a low budget science fair project.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• First, this is not a "we" this is a "he". You can certainly supervise and help cut and paste, but the idea and execution need to be your son's.

The Chicago Public Schools has a fantastic list of resouces for science fair projects; please pass this on to your son: www.chicagostudentsciencefair.org 

Answer by rkoloms at 1:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• You could test different types of plastic containers to see which one prevents freezerburn the best., or if "freezer" bags actually prevent freezer burn better than regular ziploc bags.

This one would be a little more involved, but you could test to see whether handwashing dishes is more effective in cleaning dishes than the dishwasher.

Is there anything he is particularly interested in? I taught biology and have done tons with science fair.....you can pm me if you need some help :)
    MagnoliaQueen

Answer by MagnoliaQueen at 1:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• my favorite was "what makes a plant grow?" test tubes with seedlings, and different solutions (water, fertilized water, salt water, vinegar) then tracked their growth over a period of time.

then there was one (memorable because the dog ate my freshly varnished examples) leavening agents in biscuits - amounts and types.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Do you have pets? When I was in 7th grade, I went to regionals by seeing if my 3 cats preferred one color over another. I picked up 8 different colors of paper plates at a party outlet and then did a grid of all the different 2 plate color combos. Over the course of a month, I tested all 3 cats 10 times with each color combination by putting half a treat on each of two plates at a time and making note of which treat they went for. They almost never chose yellow, by the way. It was a super cheap, easy project.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Anon.. since it's her sons project, it kinda does need to be HIS rather than HERS.
    Not saying you would or will OP, but i've seen my fair share of projects that the child doesn't even understand, let alone create.

Pets are a good idea if you've got one, anything to do with water pressure and shapes is great fun.
    Mould growth and pennecillin is good too... if you have a shed / garage.

Have a look around some wiki science papers and see what catches his eye.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 2:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My dd once tested different brands of batteries to see which actually lasts longer. She enjoyed it.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 3:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Cool I love all the ideas! I will make some suggestions to him and hopefully it will turn out..
    Anonymous