Is it normal for a toddlers hand to twitch when sleeping?

My sons (almost 14 months) right hand twitches several times while he is asleep. I noticed it a long time ago, and its always stuck to my mind, but I notice it getting worse over time. Is this something to be alarmed about? He also has other respitory issues... I know I need to ask a DR but we are always talking about his other issues and it slipped my mind.

Mommyof2n0308

Asked by Mommyof2n0308 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Kids' Health

• not sure, but my DD did that a lot when she was a baby and even now she is 2 today and still twitches like she did when she was a baby. It could be he is dreaming or something not sure
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• my younger 2 are twitchers....

especially the youngest. she never stops moving.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I would say she is dreaming, people twitch in there sleep my husband is 30 and he still does it :) mostly when she is just falling asleep
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 1:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• ok! just wasnt sure if it was something to be alarmed about.... especially since we are going through a lot of testing right now trying to figure out whats going on, maybe it had something to do with it, i doubt it..and i hope not...obviously.. but... never know....
    Mommyof2n0308

Answer by Mommyof2n0308 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• It could be she's dreaming.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 7:59 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• It's very normal. It's called myoclonus, and it's the same involuntary muscle response that causes sneezing and hiccups. :)
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 8:18 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Yep. They're dreaming.
    TinaN64

Answer by TinaN64 at 8:26 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My son twitches in his sleep too. He twitches so bad that one time i was holding him while he slept at church and he kicked me (HARD) right where I had my c-section! OUCH!
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 1:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2010