Who sits at the head of the table

We are not ones that feel there is really a head of the table.

But my BIL and SIL were over and my oldest sits at the head of table and hubby and I sit on the side. I sit closet to the kitchen and hubby is on the other side to help the kids along with me.

They thought it was weird and the one of us adults should sit at the head of the table so they know that we are in charge. I thought it was weird because that is not the way you show your children who is in charge. We did get into the part but that is a whole other story.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• My dh sits at the head and my oldest son sits at the foot - not really by design, it's just the way things ended up.

Answer by missanc at 1:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• no one, girls sit on one side and we sit on the other.

but if its a family dinner - Grandpa gets the head of the table.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• we have a round table...haha!..so what are supposed to do?? lol
    rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 1:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Dad and hubby always sat at the head of the table, 'cause he was head of our home. If we had a round table, he was still head of our home, and the children knew that. A big deal wasn't made about it, but they knew!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:34 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• We just sit where ever. Technically, I guess, my husband usually sits at the head but that's only because he can see the TV from there. It has nothing to do with authority or anything. I usually sit on the side closest to the kitchen because it's just where I've always sat and it's usually close to where my husband is sitting so I can hear him.
    For Christmas, though, my dad joined us and sat at one end (because it's close to the stairs) and my husband sat in the middle of the table. The 2 older girls sat at the other end. We didn't plan it that way, we just all grabbed seats.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:39 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• We are rather traditional and hubby always sits at the head and I sit at the other end. On special occasions or when dad is not home we allow one of the kids to sit at the "head". It is a fun way to make them feel special. The head of the table always takes the first helping of the main course and then passes the dish around.

When we have a dinner party Hubby sits at the head, I am to the left (I think it is supposed to be the right but the left is closer to the kitchen) and the oldest male sits at the other end with his spouse to the right unless there is another older male then I put the wife to the left and that man to the right with his wife next to him.

Anonymous

• We're a family, not a dictatorship. No one person is more important than another, just that as adults we have more responsibility than my daughter.
    No-one is 'head' of this house, we all work and function together. We sit where we sit. At the moment, my daughter sits at what i suppose is the 'head', because that's where has the room for her high chair.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 2:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Glad to see we are not the only ones like this.
    Anonymous

• My uncle does because he's the oldest in the house but it's not like he gets anything special out of sitting there lol...it's only a spot at the table.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Piskie - a little hostile??

We are not a dictatorship - we are traditional and show respect to the older generation. We, hubby and I, sit at the head with the children in the middle. I give up my end of the table, out of respect, when my in-laws are in town (they live with us for one month a year). It is called traditional NOT a dictatorship -LOL

There really is no need for you to be so offended when others embrace a traditional view.

Anonymous