Is it possible my son just doesn't need as much sleep as other 2.5 year olds?

We can't get our son to sleep earlier than 10-10:30 every night, he is a ball of fire all night long. He naps during the day for about 2 hours, I've tried to stretch him with no nap in hopes he'll go to be earlier, but he just can't do it, we've tried several times. So, he goes to bed about 10-10:30 and wakes about 7:30-8 every day. Please help me, DH and I are getting ZERO alone time at night. FWIW, his almost 5 yo sister is a great sleeper and has been in her bed at 8:30 pm every night no probem since age 2.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 1:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• my son did that, you have to chose, sleep at nap or sleep at night, it shoudl total around 12 hrs a day. how ever they want that sleep. it just may be the way he is geared to work, when my son was 2 he refused naps and began sleeping 12 hr nights which i prefered and if he got crabby i would threaten the nap and he behaved. yes all kids are complete individuals.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I have the opposite my 2 year old DD goes right to bed 8pm but my 4.5 year old on the other hand put her down at 8pm and she will not go to bed until anywhere from 11-12 or even 1 in the morning it is so stressing when they don't go to bed at night and you get no alone time with DH I know we are there my 4.5 year old don't even take naps anymore and going to bed that late she still gets up early around 7:30 or 8am as well so I am sorry I can't help you out on this one since we are in the same situation right now
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My 3 yr old is like that. She has never been a good sleeper. She still gets up at least once a night. I take her potty & lay her back down. Sometimes she actually goes back to sleep! lol And in these last 3 yrs my husband & I have rarely had a night alone because he has to get up incredibly early for work ( 3 am) & sometimes this kid will not even go to bed before 1 or 2. And she rarely even naps anymore so I do not know what to do either! I hope someone has a constructive suggestion! Just letting you know you aren't alone. (btw, I have 4 other kids that I never had a problem with so it isnt like this is my first time around)
    Anonymous

• I think at that age it's around 11-13 hours. So he's there.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• The reason he can't go without naps is because he's not getting enough sleep at night. If he sleeps from 10-8, he's getting about 10 hours of sleep. Most toddlers still need between 11-13 hours of sleep. My 3 year old son goes to bed at 8 and wakes up around 7 and takes a 2-3 hour nap during the day. What time is your LO napping? If he's not going down for a nap until 3 or so, of course he won't be ready to go to bed before 10.

Are you being consistent with him? If your daughter is winding down and ready for bed at 8:30, you should be doing the same things with your son. Try to start winding him down earlier...move his bedtime back slowly. Like, start his bedtime routine at 9:30 and do that for a few days...then move it back to 9 for a few days until he and your daughter are on the same schedule. Be firm with him about staying in his bed and not talking or playing at night. He'll get it eventually.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My son goes to bed at 9:30 and wakes at 5:30 - with a 1 hour nap.. we are not getting any alone time either so I feel your pain, plus my husband works nights. but I put him in his room at 8:30 - No matter what. I know he doesn't fall asleep but right now, so far, he's only just turned 2, he stays in bed and wants things from me.... I will take everything out of his room if he gets older and thinks its still playtime, you can also get a refferral for a sleep clinic if you are worried
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• by the way, I feel he needs more sleep too - he has rings under his eyes and an unlimited amount of energy. iv'e tried ALL the times to put him to bed. sorry no help with advice but yuo are not alone.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Some kids require MUCH LESS sleep than others. My son is one of them. As your son gets older (if he's anything like mine), it'll be easier to get him to bed earlier...even if he's not going right to sleep. Get him in a routine, bath at 8 (or whatever time you want to start at), read a few books, then bedtime....no fussing or getting up. Make him stay, I promise he'll get used to it and eventually things will be fine. I'm just going based on my experience of not being able to get my own son asleep before a certain time.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2010