If you're a mom who doesn't leave home to work each day and doesn't earn a paycheck, how long has it been since You brought home a paycheck? I'm a sahm with a kid home still as

my youngest. I'm wondering about the different lengths of times its been for moms who haven't brought home their own paycheck. How do you manage on one paycheck, are you great a clipping coupons and getting doubles? If so do you use specific coupon sites? Do you buy just about all storebrands? What are your secrets for being a stay at home mom for however long you've been one.

lfl

Asked by lfl at 1:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• 9 years since I had a real paycheque.

slim budget that slides with the income
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Ive only been one for like 3 months. My husband works for the Army. His paycheck covers everything. We dont live outside our limits. We get bunch of random coupons in the mail and use those. Also at the store they have coupons attached to the merchandise so just rip those off and use them that day.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• it's been 27 years that's I 've last had a paycheck. Now shopping at Foodtown and earning point towards greenpoints and foodtown gift cards is a huge help. I should use coupons more. I've tried different sites but printing them out was just more ink used than we could spare with kids needing the printer too.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:54 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I havent brought home a pay check since Feb. 1995.

Hubby makes a very good living so we are fine on just his income.
    Anonymous

• I've been home for a little over 2 years. It was really, really hard at first - I made good money and we were used to two incomes. I tried coupons, and honestly I don't think I saved much. (Other brands were less expensive without coupons.) I shop at Giant Eagle, so I get $.10 off a gallon of gas for every $50 I buy in food. I only buy the meats and produce that are in their weekly specials. If I have extra money, I'll pick up more to freeze. (That has saved us many times.) I'll also pick up staple items (coffee, toilet paper, etc.) when they are running a good sale even if I don't need it right then. I don't buy frozen dinners, I make everything from scratch. I buy some store-brand things, but I haven't been happy with the quality of some items. I'm probably not the thirftiest shopper, but I can save quite a bit of money just watching the sales and the per-ounce cost of things.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• http://www.ppgazette.com/

Is a great coupon sight. We are great on one income. Don't live beyond our means and are wise with our money.

RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 2:34 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• It wasn't hard living on one income until he was laid off and is only making half of what he used to make. That was a huge adjustment for us. We stopped eating out and eat at home more. That's what has helped us save the most. We are more careful when spending money. I had been a sahm for almost two years when my DH was laid off and I had to start working from home to help us out. I didn't want anyone else watching my children so I that's when I decided I needed to wrok from home.

Hope this helps a bit. Best Wishes!

mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• since i was 15..i worked 2 weeks at wendy's but after the first pay check my b/f whom now is my hubby said he didnt want me working.. so i stayed home.. and i am 23 now and have two childre..my oldest in 3-k from 8-5 but i try my best to get a few extra bucks a month doing side jobs online and selling goods but its not a paycheck.. i started selling amrk and tupperware but have yet to bring home a paycheck from that either...started my own business so hopefully it will get me a little bit of money once i get the website up.. i am starting a party planning business, is ell personalized favors and party supplies and gifts for parties and such
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I went from June 2008 to Dec 2009 without a commission check. Thank goodness my husband is a professional and can cover it all without me.

Anonymous

• I've been at home since September 2001, two weeks before I got pregnant with my first baby. I did go and work with my dad for a couple of months in 2003, as a family favor. My kids are 4 and 7 now and I don't plan to go back any time soon, if ever.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2010