Baby with ticks or muscle spasms???

I take care of an 8 month old girl who has been exhibiting unusual ticks or muscle spasms for about 10 days now. The parents have taken her to their doctor, and so far an MRI and EEG have come back normal. Their next course of action is an evaluation with an occupational therapist to see if this is strictly muscular in nature. I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experiences like this or perhaps point me in the direction of some pertinent literature. The baby initially started showing signs of these spasms late in the evening during her normal bedtime. She sat up in bed and began bending her head sideways toward her left shoulder and keeping it there for about two seconds. Now she does that, and a more rapid version of that which appears as a tick, and most recently she has had spasms that cause her to arch her back, pushing out her belly and throwing her head back somewhat. To me this is alarming and worrisome.

kandless

Asked by kandless at 1:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ticks are bugs that attach themselves to you and suck blood.
    TICS are the muscle spasms, I have seen some of my friends' babies do things like that. They were never found to have any problems. Maybe the baby is tense and nervous? If the tests haven't found anything,I wouldn't worry.
    Anonymous

• Hmm sounds weird, have the parents taken her to a pediatric specialist? I know that Tourettes is usually not diagnosed until later, but this sounds awfully worrisome! I do know lead can cause spasams, IDK, but I would watch her like a HAWK, sound highly weird, and I think you should prompt them not to blow ihis off, and BTW--spell TICS however you want too! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Thanks for the spelling correction, Anonymous. I am just trying to be helpful to the family, and I was taking a longshot with this forum, but I think I'm better off delving into medical and child development journals if the best I can get here is a spelling lesson.
    Kimigogo, the little girl is developing normally otherwise, and even while she is exhibiting the tics she appears happy and content playing. I am voicing my concerns with the family and believe they are not going to be lax in getting answers. After the results for the MRI and EEG came back normal, it seemed as if her doctor felt less concerned with the baby's disposition, so her mother took it upon herself to speak with this occupational therapist who is very knowledgeable in muscular systems. Thanks for empathsizing with our situation--I genuinely care for this little girl and would like to help the family in any way I can.
    kandless

Answer by kandless at 3:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I hope you get to the bottom of this, I was epilepsy when I was young, and had a grand mal seizure before anyone noticed, thanks for caring about her, and if you don't mind, let me know what you find out! I am glad her parents are watching as well, but I did have one more thought,,,,I can't remember what it is called but the movie Lorenzo's oil was based on something that sounded kind of like this, good luck and god bless!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Look into infantile spasms, which babies can get.
    Anonymous

• Yes it sounds like infantile spasms. Here is a youtube video with information on it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28ihqGfrB-Y&feature=related
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Thank you very much, I hadn't thought of looking on YouTube. I've been going through a bunch of posted videos to see if I could find anything that more closely resembles what Jasper is going through. Unfortunately (well, maybe fortunately) I didn't see anything, but I'll keep looking. I can't believe how many types of seizures there are, and how many people take video of them... So, the parents met with the occupational therapist who said that Jasper's neck muscles were extremely tight. She did some therapy to work out the tightness, and I guess that helped because the mom says she didn't have any more tics for the rest of the evening or this morning. While she has been here she had one, but I was looking away, and saw maybe the last split-second of it. It doesn't seem like Infantile spasms to me--all of the videos I saw that were specifically entitled 'Infantile Spasms' showed the children popping their heads forward.
    kandless

Answer by kandless at 2:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2010