What is it with the fraud posts?

In the past couple days I have seen posts about moms commiting check fraud, welfare fraud. even lying to keep medicad and stuff.
Is it really worth to do that and risk having serious charges brought up against you?
In these posts I have read the moms were scared of what was going to happen to them.
Wouldnt you think about that first before doing something illegal??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't agree with it but unfortunately from what I have heard from others in the US there a little to no penalties.
    Even if someone reported them the likelihood of prosecution is limited. A friend of mines ex-husband was on Social Security disability. In custody agreements it was discovered he had been claiming the child as a dependent for years even though he lived 12 hours away and never saw her. They didn't do a thing.

In other countries you would have to pay the money back and possibly face time in jail.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 1:35 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Oh heck. Some of the moms here admit to smoking pot. There are all types out in the world who are willing to break laws with no regards for their kids. Just shrug and feel bad for their kids.

Anonymous

• <----- shrugs and feels bad for thier kids, hopes the moms get caught.
    Anonymous

• hmmm. maybe cafemom reports them to the irs...
    Anonymous

• ITA with the first poster. There are all types. Maybe they think if they're young they can plead naive and get away with it. What they are doing is stealing from their kids' futures because these crimes have expensive fines and penalties. Even the smart ones who love pot and brag about smoking it. They will be paying thousands of dollars down the road. Not a wise choice as a parent.
    Anonymous

• Actually there are some pretty bad penalties. I have known people to go to jail for 5 years
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2010