14 Months And Still No Talking ....

So my son is 14 months old and he doesnt really talk all that much. He says "da da da da" and "mmmmm". He does squeel and scream (happy screams) and totally understands the word "no." I am really worried bc he doesnt talk that much, at his 12 month check up I asked the dr and he said not to be worried but I still am! Should I take him back or should I just learn to chill. No rude comments please!

DarthPink

Asked by DarthPink at 2:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• every child is different. Heck some babys dont even learn to walk until after 14 months and then there are cases like my son who walked at 9 months 3 days old. It just all depends. My son is 12 months and says dada, mama, hi, bye, bite bite, baba and uh oh. but doesnt understand much of anything, that or he just chooses not to respond to stuff. but his doctor said his vocabulary is advanced for his age... so dont worry about your kiddo. give him time and work with him on some easy words.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 2:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Well, REALLY don't worry!! I worried too, plenty at this age. My son at 18 months had a handful of 1/2 words but really only me and grandma would know what it meant, which DOES count, but I didn't know that at first. I kept waiting for whole words to count. about 19 months my son had a verbal explosion. Literallyy went from 1/2 words, to single words, to 2-3 word sentances in a month. it was nuts, then just as fast from there. He turned 2 in Nov, he's doing great, he actually answered us a couple times. So really, He's doing great Mama!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• He will don't worry. HE's just startin to walk. One thing at a time.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• well my lil one ia 19months and doesnt say a whole lot either.as long as they understand the words u are saying,then u shouldnt be worried until at least 2 yrs of age.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My baby is 20 months and is just now using words to show what he means. He's been doing it for maybe 2 or 3 months, tops. And they're simple words, like mom, dad, eat, no, get down, love you, bless you, and uh oh. He knows a few others, but not many.

I've learned to mellow out after 3 children. My 4 year old didn't sit up until 8 months or crawl until 10 months. They'll do it when they're ready. ;-)
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I know they say "don't worry about it" and you really shouldn't. He will be talking soon enough! My dd only said "mama", "dada", and "ball" until she the DAY she turned 19 mos! My dd just turned 2 in Nov and says 3-4 word sentences now... if your son understands you, he is fine! He will get there VERY soon and you will wonder why you put so much effort into worrying :) I did everything to try to get her to talk, and now she doesn't stop! Just keep encouraging, I also started sign language with my dd so I could take care of her basic needs (like diapers, juice, food...) and we avoided a lot of tantrums! When she turned 19 mos, it was like every sign, she'd say the word. We'd learn new signs and she'd say more words!
    He will get there sooner than you know.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• If you have any concerns, you can always get an evaluation by early intervention. I got one for my son when he was 11 months. He's now 14 months, receiving free speech therapy through early intervention, and talking up a storm!

Answer by missanc at 3:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• All babies develop differently. If you "mommy-sense" is telling you that there may be a problem, then get your baby evaluated. Chances are, everything is fine; if not, early intervention is always best.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My son is 21 months and still doesnt talk. He is super smart, undertsands us, plays with other kids...does so much but talk. Sometime i think parents know what there kids want with out talking and just does it for them. i feel that is our problem. But he is seeing a speech person in Feb. im a little worried but he is so smart, also whats stressing going to do? if you doctor says not to worry i wouldnt, until they are over 2. Then they might need to see a theripist
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 3:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Okes. I just wanted to say thanks guys! Yall really made me feel better and now I can relax!!!! Thanks again!
    DarthPink

Answer by DarthPink at 5:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2010