Fever with no other symptoms?

My 19 month old has a 101.8 fever for two days but no other symptoms. I am not seeing any teeth trying to come through. She is a little more cranky than normal but have been going through this temper tantrum time for several weeks now when she doesn't get her way. I am just at a loss! We can't really afford to take her to the doctor and one of our vehicles is broken down (and my husband works nights) so I would have to have my mom come in from 45 minutes away to take us. So, I just wanted some input from you ladies before I did anything more than tylenol! Thank you!

Frogbaby83

Asked by Frogbaby83 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son had Roseola virus like mentioned above... I took my son in to be checked b/c of his fever and being fussy. But nothiing else was wrong. Even his doctor said "I cant answer for sure" but it seems like roseola. Give it a few days and if he breaks into a rash then fever is gone, thats what it was. If your babies temp gets really high though, he needs to see the doctor. 101.8 is still a low grade temp. My sons temp was up at 104.2 -- I was on the phone with his doctors emergancy after hours most of those nights.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 2:29 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• It could be roseola virus. but never can be sure unless you bring her in. for roseola they run a fever for up to 7 days and then they will get a rash. But I an no Dr and can't tell you for sure.
    Anonymous

• My kids go to daycare, and every year they have a fever that goes around with no other symptoms. It's very contagious because it goes around to a lot of the kids everytime someone has it. Even my children's pediatrician doesn't have an explanation for it. The teachers call it a "fever virus."
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 2:29 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• have you tried giving her Tylenol or Motrin? is it going away with that? if so, I am sure its just teething, this is about the time for molars and my son would run a fever for days when teething.. and being cranky,. if it doesn't go down with tylenol or motrin, you will need to bring her in though. Is she prone to or ever had an ear infection? those come with fevers and crankiness, could also be the reason you are dealing with extra trantrums.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• It could be teeth, could be an ear infection,,can you feel any teeth trying to push through? I would give tylenol, but if this goes on for a couple more days,,,time for the doc! Good luck mamma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:31 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• could be an ear infection, weve gone threw 2 of those and the 1st one that was her symptom and the 2nd there wasnt any signs she just had a check up
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Is she chewing on things or her hands that you have noticed, any more than usual I should say. Or has she been drooling excessively. Even if you can't see teeth coming through or feel them, they can be there under the surface and they sure can be a bugger about making life miserable for the baby and you. Try wiping down her gums with a cool cloth and/or a cold teething ring and see if it helps.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I go to WebMD.com for my medical inquiries. If I am very concerned, I call my doctor.

Good luck.
    Anonymous

• She has had a runny nose off and on for about 2 months. I took her into the doctor a few times for that because she also had a very low grade fever. They just kept telling me "It's viral" and gave me some allergy med to help dry up her nose. Nothing really worked for that but she has been fine, just a clear runny nose part of the time.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2010