What do you do or say to a kid getting dirty text?

She knows I read her text, and I have found inappropriate texts. She is now in therapy, and is very sensitive. How would you handle it? Just wondering if I am doing the right thing, and if I can get tips on other ways to go about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I would say the her that the person who text her inappropriately is sick. They need help. Let her know she is NOT responsible for other people's actions. Then I would let it go. Do not make a big issue out of it. good luck.
    Anonymous

• Ground her from her phone. A cell phone is a luxury-not a necessity- and not one I had as a teenager. That will stop all questionable texts right there.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 2:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Im curious what the "dirty text" said.

I dont know that I can give an answer until I know what you consider "dirty"

btw I am the mother of a 15 yr old dd and 13 yr old ds so Im probably at the same point in parenting as you are.
    Anonymous

• Take texting off the phone.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I would turn the text off the phone until she was older more mature.. monitor her on the phone.. set limits/ expectations & consequences if she breaks them.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• ******THE TEXT WAS FROM A BOY SHE KNOWS.

It was from a boy she knows:

How he will rub her .....

She is going through alot and the boys know it and they are the only people nice to her-wonder why-she is kinda nieve to it, she has one friend.
    Anonymous

• Remove the text application, and show the texts to the parent of whoever sent them!! I think this is out of hand as far as teenagers go, but you need to investigate the person who is or had been sending them, and make sure she isn't sending any herself! Phone would go bye-bye IMO! I know you can't keep all bad things from your child,,,but by not telling you and/or engaging in the activity she isn't to be trusted,,,,,,sorry your going through this, and if she is sensitive you really must protect her!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• i agree take texting off and let her know that this kind of communication is not tolerated.
    Anonymous

• ok... if the text was TO her about what and how he will do sexual things to her AND if she in now way incouraged this (read all out going texts too).... then I would show a copy of that text to his parents. If she received an unsolicited sexual text... it is not her fault. However, if she is having "problems" (that is very vague) then perhaps turning off the text option is a good idea to alleviate some stress.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 2:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Ah, I see. She didn't send the text, it was sent to her. I agree with everyone else. Remove the texting capabilities from her phone.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 2:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2010