What do you HONESTLY think of homeschooling?

My dh and I have decided that I will homeschool our children. My dd will start next year when she is 4. And the others will follow. I am doing it bc I am not happy with public schools, we are christian and want to keep Christ in our education and schools pollute kids minds and take them away from Jesus, among other reasons.

What do you think of homeschooling?

PsychologyMama

Asked by PsychologyMama at 2:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I admire those that do it, it takes a lot of patience and strict schedule.

Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 2:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• for the reasons you just stated, that it should be illegal. I could not have listed the reasons better myself...

isolating children to one very narrow path will only backfire on you, but since your mind is made up- you'll just have to wait to find out.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I homeschool and we love it. Something about not having to deal with the B.S. of public schools and worrying about our kids' safety makes it all worth it. Plus, I know for a fact that they are learning more than they would in public school.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Well I dont believe that all public schools "pollute kids minds". However, if you want a Christ centered education then I think you are making the best choice for your family. I think that some parents do a good job of homeschooling and some do a lousy job of homeschooling.

Id say do the appropriate research, make sure to keep up on what the colleges expect so that the kids are at a competitive level. And just be willing to admit if the work gets too advanced for you and at that point bring in a teacher or look into other options.
    Anonymous

• Oh and, I believe religion should be OUT of schools.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I think they work for some people, not too well for others. If your child is keeping up with the work it is great. Parents need to be very involved and monitor the child.
    Anonymous

• I think if it's done by somebody qualified, and there is a set curriculum and testing performed by the state to check progress it could be good thing. I do believe it can be isolating for the child, and limit their experiences with the real world. (Different points of view, races, cultures.) I know a few adults that were home schooled, and they wish they had been involved in a traditional school environment. They feel like they missed out on the socialization aspects, and had a really rough time transitioning to college.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I think homeschooling is great but you have to do it properly. We homeschool and I do want my children kept away from the "bad" things they can learn at school and also because it is just so unsafe theses days. You hear of more and more children being molested at school and its just rediculous. But they still have to have social skills and learn to interact with other children. My oldest is 6 and in first grade. She has a few friends who live near by and she was in dance for 2 years (until we couldn't afford it anymore) and she is getting ready to start her 4th season of soccer. I agree with ObbyDobbie that you cannot isolate them and that it does cause problems. My husbands homeschooling was done that way and it has cause so many problems for him and his siblings.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I don't have much of an opinion about homeschooling.  I think they can learn well if they are taught properly.  Im not sure how fun or exciting home schooling is because they are home, but it depends on the person who is homeschooling them.  As far as values go, I think values will continue whether they are home schooled, private school taught or public school taught.  Values have to do with family upbringing not where you go to school at.  I went to public school from k-12 and my christian values never changed.  I am a public school teacher and I have come across children who have strong christian values and I encourage that in them.
    I would never personally home school because I like the idea of my daughter going to school and interacting with different people.  She may not go to public school because DCPS sucks, but she will go to a school.
    But to each its own.  If you think you can do it, I say do it. 
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I think homeschooling is great. I've done it. Like the PP said, do your research and when you start make sure you have your schedule of how you want your day to go. You can get so much done in a little amount of time. And always remember, museums, nature walks, zoos are all wonderful environments that can tie into your lesson plans too. And you can always look for local homeschooler groups in your area, maybe wanting to play or get together for a zoo day or museum day. Or maybe if there isn't one you could start it? Luck to you!

And to what ObbyDobbie said: it's not isolating children if you involve them in playgroups and sports, now is it???
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2010