Baptism

I am from a different country and my family and my husband's family are orthodox. We are supposed to baptize infants around the age of 4 months. Me and my husband have been living in the US for the past 6 years and have a 2 year old boy and 7 months old girl. The boy has been baptized at an orthodox church when he was 3 months old. I have been postponing the baptism of the girl because I don't agree that infants should be baptized, I don't practice my religion, I don't like orthodox priests and I am actually very much into buddhism and taoism right now. There is a great pressure going on right now from both sides of family, including my husband, to baptize my daughter. I would go ahead and do it against my will , just to shut them up, if it wasn't for the whole dunking under the water scheme, which is stupid and I hate it. Do you know of any church I can go to that baptizes infants just by sprinkling them instead of dunking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Call around to Catholic churches they all do it a little different.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• As long as the kids get baptized, who cares when you do it? Better late than never.
    Anonymous

• Better late than never. TRUE BUT BETTER GOD'S WAY THAN ANY WAY AT ALL.

WAIT UNTIL YOUR CHILDREN CAN CHOOSE FOR THEMSELVES WHETHER TO GET BAPTISED OR NOT AND DECIDE FOR THEMSELVES IF THEY CAN MAKE SUCH A HUGE PERSONAL COMMITMENT. THAT'S THE BIBLE STANDARD. THAT'S GOD'S WAY. FULLY INFORMED ADULTS ONLY AND BY FULL IMMERSION
    Anonymous

• " I am actually very much into buddhism and taoism right now"

Since you are exploring other faiths and not committed to one... honor your family by having the baby baptised. Is this really the war you want to wage? If it means alot to your husband who is still the same faith he was when you met and married, I think it behooves you to honor the original commitment you made.

As far as the total dunking... it is less than a second... baby will be fine.

If you find you heart lies in a different religion I suggest you have a heart to heart asap with hubby on how you plan on raising your children. Since this is changing the plan from what Im sure you discussed prior to getting married. Im not saying it is wrong or can not have a positive out come... but you are changing the rules part way through.

Anonymous

• I agree with Anon :56. "Baptizing" a baby does nothing but get the baby wet. When the child is old enough to make an informed decision, then she can decide to be baptized.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 11, 2010