hormones from bfing causing this to her?

so I know that when you bf the baby gets some of your hormones and that can cause discharge when they are born, my dd is 5 months and for the first week she had vaginal discharge which i know is normal, and some can even have "milk" coming from their breasts (she did not have this) but her breasts were swollen which is also normal but that went away after probably the first month. But yesterday I was holding her from the back and my fingers were on her chest and I noticed that her right breast has a lump in it right underneath the nipple area? She is 1/2 bf and 1/2 formula because I can't produce enough for her. My mom says that they are caused by the hormones from bfing? Is this normal or should I call the doc?

bexjack

Asked by bexjack at 2:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• take her to the doctor better safe than sorry.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Like maiahlynn said better to be safe then sorry.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My daughter had this under both nipples and her Dr. told me it was just from the hormones so I'm sure it's fine. But you can get it checked out just in case =)
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• It probably isn't anything to be concerned about, but I'd take her in just to check. I don't know the situation surrounding your supply problem, but if you would like to talk about it and possibly change it, let me know. For all I know, you HAVE tried, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask/offer help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I would take her to the doc. It would be better to get it checked out just in case.
    Anonymous

• kinda off topic.. if you EBFyou would produce enough. supplementing will keep you from producing
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• we tried everything- I'm just happy that I'm able to produce what I can. I'd rather have a happy fed baby then both of us be cranky and frustrated that its not working. :) I do have some ideas for what to expect with my next child though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• ooops. that wasn't supposed to be anon...
    bexjack

Answer by bexjack at 12:30 AM on Jan. 12, 2010