Mary Jane? (for those who get what i mean)

I use to smoke Mary Jane alot before i got pregnant because i found that was the only way to help my back pain. i know alot of moms just don't smoke, but out of the women that have smoked, Would you rather smoke a LITTLE Mary Jane or take a pill that the drs dont even know how it would affect the baby? They want to put me on these emotion pills because i use to be suicidal but the dr said they aren't even sure how it would affect my baby and i've heard from many family drs that Mary Jane wont affect the baby in any serious way. dont be rude i just want to see what others think about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You need to talk to your ob/gyn and get a referral for psych counseling...not because your crazy, but they have a good understanding of what you can take while PG! If you test positive for drugs while PG your going to be in a world of hurt,,,,I wouldn't do it, totally harmful to the fetus, it can mess with the development, please talk to someone ASAP!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Smoking marijuana increases the levels of carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide in the blood, which reduces the oxygen supply to the baby. Smoking marijuana during pregnancy can increase the chance of miscarriage, low birth-weight, premature births, developmental delays, and behavioral and learning problems.

The dr's DO know how smoking marijuana during pregnancy affects the baby. I would rather take a chance that the pills might NOT affect my baby than know for sure that I was hurting my baby each time I lit up.

Answer by missanc at 2:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I am dead set against doing anything illegal.

However, I will be honest that if I had a medical reason to do it (it would have to be very serious medical reason). I would do everything in my power to do it through proper channels.
    Anonymous

• im against taking anything while preggo, and even more seriously against doing drugs. been there done that ruined my life over it too! talk with your dr tho. some times there are things you can take or do to help redirect pain or depression while preggo untill you can get some real help.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 3:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I think going to a psychologist or counselor would help you. You don't need medication, a lot of times you just need some positive reinforcement, and ways to cope and a different thought patten to help psychological issues, and no, I don't think you should smoke that stuff while pregnant. It's illegal, and if it came up in your blood tests, they'll take your baby away more than likely.
    Anonymous

• Fellow back pain sufferer here......! I have had back pain since I was 15 yrs old. I have several surfeies, and more to go. Each of my disc have to be replaced, with titanium spacers, so in a few months I go back for 3 more replacements. I also have arthritis, and nerve damage. Now at 48 yrs. old, I can tell you MY take on this. I have had 4 pregnancies. NEVER did I consider any meds. of any kind, during my pregnancies...NEVER. I figured, a child does not ask to be born...YOU are the one whom has to make the wisest, safest choices.....do NOT think that even a little bit is not going to hurt your baby! Have you tried therapies, meditation, yoga, tai-chi, there is so many alternatives, acupuncture. Seriously, you owe your baby this much,UNLESS it will bring physical harm to you or your child...don't even go there! JMHO, ....been there and did without ANY drugs, C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 3:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• 'Mary Jane' has an effect on the oxygen supply to the baby, yes..BUT prescription drugs have much more toxic effects.. and for that matter so does stress...if you are suicidal, depressed, crying all the time, that can harm your baby as well. My gf smoked MJ during her pregnancy and I was so worried about it's effects on her unborn son I wanted to wring her neck! He is 17 now and get's straight A's in school and is a bright, articulate, emotionally mature kid...that's my 2 cents...good luck to you!
    Anonymous

• my friend asked her obgyn if marijuana was bad for the baby;
    & the only thing she said was, she doesn't reccomend it because it's illegal, but it doesn't pose as harmful.

It doesn even break through the placenta.
    Anonymous

• Your friends doctor is wrong! I am telling you both my mother and brother are both doctors, and that is NOT correct information! If you want to do it,,,from your post it sound likely you already are, you are the one risking your baby and future custody, BTW it will relieve back pain, but as a depressant it is not a replacement for ANTI-depressants, I hope the best for you, but you need to talk to your OB GYN---they give you urine tests when you visit the doctor, and mary jane will stay in your system for up to 30 days after your last smoke, so even if it were not harmful, you are still risking custody of your child! It does have medicinal benefits, but it is illegal, and google the effects upon the fetus,,,,not a wise idea at all!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• i smoked for the first 3 months of my pregnancy and stopped mostly because i passed out ( long story ) but two of my friends did smoke for about 4-6 months of their pregnancy both of their kids are fine and so is mine i wouldnt say it's a good thing or something you should do but there are worse things out there that you could be doing i would still try getting some professional help first and see where that goes and try not to smoke .. but it's really up to you in the long run and how much your willing to risk the health of your unborn child .... FYI at my hospital visit they did test me for all kinds of drugs marijuana being one of them which i know i came back pos on they said nothing and did nothing theres no cps knocking on my door or anything like that but when my son was born i wasnt smoking so idk how they would work it if you do come back pos when you have your baby
    Anonymous