Potty training, check...now what?

So DS is fully daytime potty trained...yay He will be 2 this week!!! However, when do I start nightima training, I hear when he consistantly wakes up with a dry diaper, is taht true? How long after daytime training does that usually happen?

Also, when you go out do you bring a portable potty with you and /or cover the car seat just in case? Do you use the public restroom, I don't even use it for myself? What if you are driving, do you pull over right away? I know these might sound trivial but DH thinks he should still wear a diaper when we go out for a few hours and I think if he is fully trained that it will confuse him...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if hes fully trained i wouldnt use a pull up or daiper when u go out if hes ok using the public potty then use them just take toilet covers with u or his potty it might seem weird to some ppl but my daughter WILL not use a public potty she wont even go in with me while i use it she hates them and i understand that so when shes fully trained ill take her with me give it a few weeks and then start nite training its harder so b paitent wake him up twice a nite to have him go then once and then not at all good luck
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• So you start night training right away? I can't imagine waking him up at night though....hmmm. I will have to see how that goes. We co sleep and I still BF so I guess it wouldn't be too hard I'm just nervous he wouldn't go right back to sleep. He LOVES the potty and gets so excited it might "wake" him up to much...lol.
    Anonymous

• My daughter trained at 19 months but she is still, now at 2.5 yrs, waking up wet in the morning so we still haven't done much with night training (we did have a period where she didn't want a diaper or pull-up at night so we gave it a chance -- but there were lots of accidents so we went back). I'd just wait... no reason to rush it, because it's not so much a skill they learn like daytime training is. As for going out -- don't do the pull-up or you'll confuse him; we covered the car seat some plastic and then a towel, but only for a few weeks so we could be more confident. We stuck a portable potty in the trunk of our car for road trips, because at that young age, when she needed to go, she needed to go! And we also carried a potty ring with us for public places... that's what she sat on at home, so she never ever had issues with public toilets. Once she started using the regular seat at home, she did in public too.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Thanks ladies...yea I'm not trying to rush it I'm just curious and DS has been out of the diaper during the day for so long now it is staring to feel weird putting it on him at night...lol.I think thats what we are going to do cover the carseat and bring the potty in the car and carry the portable one with us at all times. The truth is we unfortunaetly don't go out much and that's probably why even thogh he has really been trained foor awhile we were still putting dipers on when we did go out. But since he is turning 2 this week I decided to up the ante on this ....
    Anonymous

• What we did with mine was if they woke up with a dry diaper, we put them on the potty immediately. Normally they would go. After a few nights of that, and a few nights of waking up wet, they just figured they liked the dry better lol. It only took a couple weeks. We would only put ours back in pullups if we were going on a very long drive. When we would go out for a couple hours, we would just have them go before we left the house, then take them once while we were in the store. And always brought extra change of clothes for those occasional accidents :)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2010