Tying shoes...

At what age did you teach your LO to tie their shoes? How did you teach them? Through song, etc?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I want to say about 4. It's been a while now. We didn't do a song. My kids don't like that. Just practice and repetition.
    Anonymous

• four? wow, i dont know any 4 yr old who can do that. i went to primary school in the 80s and we had to be able to tie our shoes. say the abc, count to 15, potty trained with wiping. etc before we were allowed to enter public school.... things arent that way anymore. i teach and the kids know how about first grade. they are mainly taught with the rhyme about the bunny and the tree and the hole.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• lol...thanks ladies. DS just got a pair of new sneakers and is trying to"tie" them so I was wondering he is only 2 but I figured why not start now it can't hurt if he's showing interest...I wouldn't push it on him but I figured I can show him with repitition but I forgot the song...were could I find it?

Thanks
    Anonymous

• #1 was 6.
    #2 was 7.
    Haven't even thought of teaching the other two. They are 7 and 3 1/2. I waited until they were ready to learn and just showed them how. My 7yo now just doesn't have the dexterity right now to tie her shoes. She can barely handle buttons and scissors. Maybe in a year or so.
    I learned when I was 5. Taught myself with one of those dolls that has laces and finally grabbed my dad's shoes and practiced until I figured it out. I was a very determined little kid (taught myself to ride a two wheeler when I was 5, too).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My daughter taught herself, by watching us, right around her fourth birthday

Answer by rkoloms at 3:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• still working on them.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I take care of the potty training and hubby takes care of the shoe tying. LOL He taught our oldest 2 when they were 4. Our 4 year old doesn't have a pair of tie shoes, but I will get them for he next pair and he will teach her then.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2010