My baby is one week over than what he should be! Is this normal.. I was diagnose with Gestional Diabetes!

My dr told me my baby is 1 week older than usual,... I heard women with gestional diabetes have bigger baby. It scares me a lil.bit to have a large baby, since Im only 31 weeks and he weights 4 pounds already. So I still have 8 more weeks to go! Im just wondering have bigger it can get... my dr will have a closed look out!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you should probably be set up for inducement to make sure baby doesnt get too big
    Anonymous

• My baby has been measuring bigger the whole time and at every appt my belly measures a week bigger. I dont have gestational diabetes or anything, they said I'm probably just a week further along than what I think (eventho they wont change my due date). I know a guy I work with is having his 3rd child and his wife has gestational diabetes so they keep watch and make sure the baby isn't getting too big.
    Anonymous

• please don't listen to the first anon. instead read "ina may's guide to childbirth" or "pushed"

i guess that you meant your baby is measuring 1 week ahead, since a baby can't really be 1 week older than usual...?

it could be that your due date is off, or that your baby is slightly larger, or that the measurements are just off. please have confidence in yourself and don't stress this.
    Anonymous

• oh i'm anon :39 and i just wanted to say that when he says your baby weighs 4lbs, that is A GUESS. there is no way to tell with any accuracy how much a baby weighs unless it is out of the mom. can be waaaaaaaaay off. just ask a question "how accurate are weight guesses?" and see what kind of answers you get. gl!
    Anonymous

• If you baby is measuring big, then your diabetes is not being controlled well enough. Are you checking your blood sugar four times a day? Is it high? If you can’t get your diabetes under control, then you may need to be on insulin for the duration of your pregnancy. Call your diabetes educator.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• As long as your sugars are kept under control, then the size of the baby won't be affected too much. I had gestational diabetes with 3 of my pregnancies - the one I didn't have gestational diabetes for was bigger than the ones I did. I was induced 2 weeks early with my 3rd, and had a csection at 39 weeks with my 4th to avoid them getting too big. Even early, they were good sized babies (7 lbs 7 oz and 8 lbs 1 oz) and had no problems after birth.

Answer by missanc at 4:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2010