Macrosomia?

I found out today that this condition is part of my history now. My 2nd child was 10.2 lbs at birth and got this big on her own with no indication of gestational diabetes, the only probable cause may have been an off due date by my midwife (3 weeks off to be exact). My 1st child, who is 2 years older than the 2nd, was 6.9 lbs so there was a huge difference in their weight. Anyway I didn't know that this type of thing is called "macrosomia" and it's a real condition? Now they're telling me the baby I'm about to have in 2 days will probably be big also, even though my belly is nowhere near the size it was the 2nd time. Have you ever heard of this? Have you had it? Could this mean my children will have big babies?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It is definitely real, but nothing to be afraid of IMO. My aunt did not have GD but had 7 children all weighing over 10 pounds, with the biggest weighing nearly 12 pounds. My son was 9 pounds 7 ounces. A lot of doctors will use this term to scare people into c-sections, but so many of those are unnecessary. Women have been birthing "big" babies since the beginning of time. Our bodies are designed to give birth even to little chubsters. There are positions that are better for giving birth and those should be used especially with larger babies. My doctor did not catch that my son was large and I am very thankful for that because I probably would have been too afraid to birth him vaginally. But even with a 9.7 posterior baby, he was born vaginally. There are many things written about macrosomia that you can google. I hope this helped!
    Mep291

Answer by Mep291 at 1:09 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• to me it's just a bogus term they made up to scare moms into c-sections and inductions :) i do think that if you had gestational diabetes then your baby could have blood sugar problems. but you don't. also you have already proven that every pregnancy is different and every baby different! i would just read up on how to birth in different positions and things because any baby can be difficult to birth lying down on your back. :D
    Anonymous

• ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ agree!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• ^^^^^^^^ agree agree lol
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• lol thanks, but im already set for a scheduled c-section on wednesday. i really have no choice in the matter, my 2nd baby turns 13 months old tomorrow and my due date would've been jan.18th so i didn't give myself enough time to heal. =/
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• You always have a choice in the matter, even after it is scheduled!

Visit the group Birth is Normal, ICAN (if you've had a previous c-section), or a VBAC group on here. You could very very likely have a vaginal delivery. Ultrasounds are not accurate at guessing weight. They can be off by 2 pounds in either direction. C-sections for "big babies" are pretty much never necessary. If you've never had a c-section before, you don't want one for this!! C-sections carry big risks to both mother and baby, much more-so than a vaginal delivery. You are more likely to abrupt, more likely to bleed out, more likely to die of infection, and your baby is also more likely to die.

If the c-section is for placenta previa or placenta accretta or for a transverse baby .. then I apologize it is necessary. But I'd still wait until I went into labor.. what if your due date was off or baby changes positions or is too early??
    Anonymous

• If you're worried about time off of work, there is always FMLA and you could apply for temporary disability.

Anonymous

• I've personally known 3 people who've had c-sections for "big babies" and their "big babies" were under 7 pounds.
    Anonymous

• Excuse me, I misspoke, I would only wait to go into labor if the baby was transverse. Accretta or previa you don't want to chance it.
    Anonymous

• i agree w/ anon 5:21/5:26. gl whatever you decide :)
    Anonymous