If you're an only child......

What are the positives and negatives about it?? How do you feel now that you're older? Do you wish you had a sibling???

If we don't conceive within 2 years, we're going to stop trying and then little guy will be an only child. I just worry about how this will affect his life later on, if at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have a step sister so technically I have a sibling but I only met her once and really don't know her at all. My parents never had more kids together so I consider myself an only child. I'm not gonna lie, it sucked bad growing up. There were times when none of my friends could play and I'd wish I had a sibling to play with. Even as a teen I'd sometimes wish I had a sister to talk to about teen stuff. It wasn't horrible, just a little sad at times. Now that I'm an adult with 3 kids of my own I don't have any regrets growing up as an only child. Good luck with conceiving number 2 though :)
    Anonymous

• I am not an only child, but I was for the first 10 years of my life. I had a GREAT childhood

My son is an only child and is 14. He has also had a GREAT childhood and life as an only child. He has never complained about wanting a sibling. Being an only child makes the child a stonger person, you can tell an only child in a classroom.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• As a child my father was very old fashioned and wanted his family home with him all the time very paranoid that all friends do is call you when they need or want something, so being an only child was very rough on my since on top of that my dad would not allow me to have any friends, so as a child i always wanted a brother or sister and i have a 3 yr old and i didn't want him to be an only child so i am having a second. Now that i am older i am married and have my own life it doesn't bother me as much but sometimes when i need someone to talk to i still wish i had a sibling, but no where near as much as when i was a child.
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My husband and I are both only children and neither of us wish we'd had siblings. You only know what you know. We both had great childhoods and great friends. I wouldn't change anything. We both matured a little more quickly than the average child but that was only because we were around adults more often. We also both enjoy time alone more than your average person and we don't tend to fight nearly as often as other couples we know (never had to as a child and don't feel the need to now). We did decide to have two children ourselves...mostly out of curiosity although I'm seriously doubting whether we're equipped to handle it. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• While I would often wish for a sibling, I have to say I really enjoyed being an only child. Still do ac tually!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• i hated being a only child
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I am not an only child, but my husband is, and he HATED it. Before we got married, he said that he wanted to have at least two children because he didn't want his child to be an only child like he was. I think a lot of it had to do with his parents, though. They insisted that he grow up too quickly, he didn't have anyone to help entertain him (when he was younger and not in school yet), a lot of his parents' friends did not have kids, etc. etc. Obviously everyone is different, but for my husband, being an only child was not something he enjoyed.
    JewelsE

Answer by JewelsE at 4:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I am an only child and I loved it growing up because I always had my parents undivided attention and was spoiled rotten.  However now that I'm older and my mother is aging (my father passed away 2 years ago) I sometimes wish that I had a sibling to share my later years with.  At least I'm lucky enough to have two wonderful sisters in law.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I'm an only child. I don't really remember wanting a sibling as a child. I was close to many of my cousins. If you do end up having an only, I would recommend trying to build 'sibling-like' relationships with other kids in the family or the children of close family friends... having sibling stand-ins is something I have always been very thankful for.

As an adult I also don't mind being an only (especially since my dh and his brother have a messed up relationship and it makes me feel glad to have dodged that particular bullet!) My main concern is that when my parents are old it will all fall on me in terms of helping them, and the idea that once my parents are gone, that will be the end of my family of origin.

Honestly though, I haven't found it to be a bad thing, although I do have three kids myself and like to see the relationship between the siblings.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I am not an only child but I can't imagine not having my brothers in my life. We have shared experiences and history. I never wanted to be an only child.
    Anonymous