How do you keep your 13 month old engaged in activity?

I sometimes worry that I'm not doing enough with her. She likes to play with her toys all day or watch tv when I rarely have it on, and she also likes to play with her older sister. It's been too cold to go outside but she does enjoy the indoor playground at the mall so we go once or twice a week. I also take both of them to the library once a week for story time. But being that I'm 39 weeks pregnant I can't really get on the floor to play with her and I feel that she should be doing more one on one stuff rather than learning and experiencing through toys and books. Should I just let her be (she does seem happy roaming through the house or playing) or do more stuff with her to get her motor skills going?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hello,
    I would not be overly concerned if she seems happy and content with just roaming freely on her own. I would say though if you are noticing behavioral (sorry cant spell) changes in her, turn for the worse, I would rethink that "okay on her own" thing. children do not always run up to you and tell you exactly what they want.. or even need. If playing with your child at least for a little while during the day is something you just want to do so you interact with her more, I would consider playing at a table with her. pull up a booster seat, whip out some of her fave toys and go to town. this way you are with her, being attentive, but you are not on the floor! best of both worlds! good luck hun!
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 10:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• As long as she's happy playing on her own, she's fine. If she's looking at books you can pick her up and put her on the couch next to you to talk about it. It sounds like at 39 weeks you are doing plenty!

Answer by missanc at 4:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• If she's happy playing on her own...let her be...in fact - encourage it! You're about to have your hands full with a newborn and you might find that your 13 mo. old suddenly becomes very needy (my 19 mo. old did when we had our 2nd baby).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2010