What does the Muslim religion teach about Jesus Christ?

Please don't think this is a bashing question. I'm asking because I don't know the answer, and I was wondering. Thank you for your time.

GoodMomma24-7

Asked by GoodMomma24-7 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• http://www.islamcode.com/WhoWasJesus.html

This is a very good webpage. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 5:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• If I am off Im sorry. I watched "The Koran" (Quaran? sp?) on TV the other week and I believe they said he was a great prophet or citizen. Is the Koran even Muslim?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Quran- the sacred writings of Islam revealed by Allah via the angel Gibrel(Gabriel) to the prophet Muhammad phuh during his life at Mecca and Medina
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 7:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• That was a very interesting link, thank you for that. I was mostly wondering if according to Muslim teaching or the Quran, is Jesus called the Messiah? I also wonder who wrote the Quran, was it Muhammad, or several?
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Yes, the Qu'ran is the Muslim holy text.

And, from what I remember, yes, Jesus is considered the Messiah.
    They believe in His virgin birth, in His teachings, in His role as a prophet, in His second coming, etc. They just don't believe that He is God or "Son of God" in a literal paternal sense. They also don't believe that He died on the cross, but instead that it was made to APPEAR as though He had, and that He was really raised up to be with God like other prophets.

I think something that is important to remember is that Muslims DO put a heavy emphasis on Jesus, while most Jews deny His even being a prophet - not that I'm trying to put down Jews in any way, I'm just trying to point out how odd it is that we side with Judaism and put down Islam when really Islam at least recognizes our Messiah... I think it really just comes down to the ignorance that exists on behalf of the Muslim faith....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Islams don't see him as the Messiah. THey don't think Allah would personify himself. They acknowledge his being a prophet, and nothing more. they believe his virgin birth, etc. but, they don't follow all his teachings obviously... since they dont say he is gods son and the such. muhammad was actually a FALSE prophet... and i have a link if you pm me all about christianity vs. islam.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Messiah doesn't have to mean God Incarnate - in fact that's not what it means at all - it means anointed one or expected deliverer. And they DO believe He was the Messiah. (I have my links, too)
    " Islam's prophet, Muhammad, believed Jesus was the Messiah, Allah's anointed messenger. Allah's people (Muslims) are told to listen to Allah's messengers" (Koran, 4.171; 5. 111*) - http://www.islam-101.org/

Even I don't believe that He was God's literal son or that He was God incarnate, yet I'm still a Christian, so you can't say they don't follow His teachings when even Christians are divided on the issues (I'm not the only one)

I don't believe Muhammad was a false prophet at all. The Islamic faith is really too close to Christianity to sit here and point fingers back and forth.

And, quite honestly, seeing the way that Muslims live lives of love and compassion, I believe they do a wonderful job of living Jesus' teachings.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:44 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Goodmamma- The Quran is directly from Allah. It was revealed to Prophet Mohammad pbuh via the angel Gibrel (Gabriel) the Quran has never been changed or altered, it is as it was given over 1400 years ago.
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 2:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2010