Moms with teens or adult children: when did YOU begin potty-training?

It seems like the trend these days is to hurry babies and toddlers into becoming "big kids" before they are ready. Moms are potty-training 15 month olds, etc.

I am 36, and my mom didn't begin potty-training me until I was 2.5 years of age.

When did YOU potty-train your children? Do YOU think parents these days are pushing their kids to grow up too fast?

Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think the reason some moms potty train so early is because they don't want to deal with changing diapers anymore. Well, changing diapers is one of the tasks of motherhood that I signed up for when my daughter was conceived. It's not an inconvenience for me.

When my daughter is ready, then she'll let me know. I'm not going to push her to grow up before her time.

I was talking to my dental hygenist today, and she says that it seems like a lot of parents are pushing their kids to grow up too soon. And you wonder why 11 year old's are having sex and getting pregnant.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My kids are currently - dd 15, ds 13, dd 8
    I potty trained at - 3, 3, 2.5

Anonymous

• Oh.. this is anon :58
    And the first two were completely trained with in 2 days with no accidents.
    The last took about one week, with next to no accidents.
    Anonymous

• my son is 3 and still isnt potty trained . im trying tho
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 3:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I am the same age as you, and was about the same age you were trained.
    I potty trained my son when was also about 2.5 years old.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I started potty training sometime after their second birthday. They had to be old enough for the gummy bear and m&m bribes I was using, lol.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I think there is a bigger push to potty train early because more kids are in day care.
    Some day cares have a per diaper charge, or will have a discount for potty trained kids, OR wont even take them until they are trianed.
    Anonymous

• I am 36 and was potty trained at 18 months old. My oldest is 12 and I didn't start potty training until he was 2 1/2.

Answer by missanc at 4:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Well I am not a mom to a teenager or anything. I actually have a 4 year old daughter and a 4 month old daughter!

But YES I totally agree that people are PUSHING children into being grown ups way too fast! I didn't start potty training my daughter until she was 3 years old. I offered her the potty chair just so she was adjusted to it. I would allow her to come into the bathroom with me and see how mommies went potty! When she just turned 3 she just went into the bathroom and pottied all by herself! I will do the same with my LO now! It will all be up to when she is ready! Not me forcing the issue!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Yes DS was almost 3 IDK what the rush is!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2010