Would you choose a name for your baby knowing that its popular?

Ive been thinking about what i would name a baby girl since i found out i was pregnant the first time with my son, now that im pregnant again im hoping its a girl for one thing but i REALLY like the name Belle, or Bella But with that new vampire movie out "New Moon" or whatever i know its a really popular name right now i mean on one of the most popular baby name lists Isabella was one of the top names. But when i decided on my sons name Kayden i hadnt heard it before now its all over Caiden,Cayden,Jayden,Brayden,Haiden whatever...so should i still go with the name i like even thoug i know she'll have the same name as many other girls her gneration?

youngmum87

Asked by youngmum87 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Hubby and I have decided against it just because he grew up having to be Brian H.

...and he doesn't want our kids to have to include some portion of their last name to differentiate them from 3 or 4 other kids in his class like he did.

I know it's frustrating when a name you've always liked suddenly gets popular.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 4:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I would find another name. I am named Melissa, in 1977 when I was born that was the number 2 ranked name. UGH! Growing up there was always at least one other Melissa in my class and most years there was three or four of us. Please give your child a name that is not in the top 25 names. I am sure you can find something lovely that is not that popular.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I would not. I named my son Braden 13.5 years ago. It was not popular then, but, you know how it is now. I told my mom that if I ever had another child, their name would not even be on the top 1,000. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• blah. i didnt even think to look at the top names when i was pregnant, and named my daughter caytlin. grr. the same day, the girl next door at the hospital named her girl katelyn. i was so aggrivated. it took us a long time to think of a special meaning, and such. now i know like 5 million caytlins, katelins, katelyns etc..
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 4:08 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• no! i have loved the name emma since i was a kid, but didnt use it because it was the #1 name. i wont use anything in the top 20.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 4:08 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• It was hard growing up with a common name In some classes I was one of 3 or 4 Sarah's. My older son has a common name (but in Spanish- JuanCarlos) but for my younger son I gave him a name that isn't common in either language. If you can find a name that you like that is a little more original use that as the first name and try using Bella as the middle name.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 4:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• In the end, I guess it's truly up to you. It's your baby and of course you should name the sweet little thing whatever you want. I'm currently preggers w/ my 4th, and all 3 of my previous kids were named names that at the time I didn't think were common, but now seem to be catching on, or becoming more popular. Now my problem is finding a name that is different now, for this one, since we still can't find a pencil or notepad, or cup, w/ any of my kids names on it, I feel it's only fair to name this new baby something equally different. Then if it becomes popular I guess it doesn't really matter. The only name I refuse to name my baby is Jenifer. It's a beautiful name, and I have nothing against it, however I have a sis, 2 sis-in-laws, 1 cousin-in law, a niece, and 2 cousins that are dating Jen's. I think that that is more than enough, don't you? lol. Fam. get-togethers are confusing e-nuff. lol.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 4:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• No. When we named our son Cayden we hadn't really heard it. Now I know a girl with a Hayden and my husband's friend named their daughter Cayden. Pick something that isn't popular.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 4:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I would. My oldest is named Michael, which is a common name - but he has never been in a class with another Michael. And nobody will ever misspell or mispronounce it which happens a lot with uncommon names. If it's what you like - use it!

Answer by missanc at 4:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• personally i wouldn't. i like to choose less common names. i like the names emma and olivia but i just want to pick a name that a few other kids in her class won't have. :) but that's just me! i also decided against Evelyn because it's been rising so fast so i'm thinking it will be top 10 soon. lol

http://www.babynames.com/Names/Popular/index.php?y=2009
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2010