What does your 3-year-old sit on at the dinner table?

My daughter is about to be 3 and she still sits at the dinner table in a high chair. It keeps her up to the table level, better than a booster seat, clean up is easier becasue it doesn't go on the floor and she is focused on eating and not trying to positioner herself so she can see over the table. What does your 3-year-old sit in? I'm just worried this will be one of those things that is working for me but one day I will realize oh no she should have been in a booster chair 6 months ago. You know like one day you look at your kid and realize wow those shorts are too small, how long have they been like this and I haven't realized!!!? Thanks

katie23

Asked by katie23 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• she sits on a regular chair. she was in the booster at around 18months, and then refused it at about 2.5 to be like her big sisters.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My girls just set on the chairs that are at the table. They hate booster chairs and do just fine on regular chairs they are almost 4 and the other is 2 1/2.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 4:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I think they were in chiars by then... with either a booster of a couple phone books to sit on.
    Also we had them eat off real plates (not plastic) from the minute they sat at the table.
    And went to glass glasses as soon as they could hold them, they are a bit heavy.

Yes, things broke but at least they were learning from the get go and I never had to be worried when we ate at other's homes.
    Anonymous

• My kids, 5,4 and 20 months sit at the table on chairs or on boosters. I do allow then to sit on their knees to bring them level. I don't think there's anything wrong with your daughter sitting in her high chair, you said she sits to the table not with the chair table right? I don't see anything wrong with that.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• She sits on a chair like all the other kids. Well, more like kneeling until she got tall enough to sit and reach the table. She still kneels a lot of the time. She never had a high chair. When she was a baby we didn't have a table and chairs so no real need for a high chair. We did have an old folding booster chair and sat it on the floor and she would sit in that but it got lost in a move when she was 16 months. After that she sat at the table on a regular chair with everyone else.
    I'm pretty sure all my kids were out of the high chair around the time they turned 2 and out of the booster chair by 2 1/2-3 years old. That's mostly because we only ever had the 1 high chair and 1 booster chair but we had 3 toddlers at once. They couldn't all use them. We also had a kid sized table they ate at most of the time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:34 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Mine sits on a booster seat with a strap (he'd never sit there otherwise). He'll eat breakfast or snacks sitting just in a regular chair. We got rid of the high chair the day he decided to climb it and I caught him kneeling on the tray! He was lucky he didn't come crashing down!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My dd sits on the regular chair, like most of the others mostly on her knees. We have a hard time trying to make her sit and eat though. I wouldn't think that it would do any damage if you left her sitting in a high chair, esp. if she is eating well and at the table.
    Bizkviper

Answer by Bizkviper at 7:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• my daughter sits in a regular chair *dining room table chair*, i tell her she can't spill anything because then mommy will have to clean it up
    Tanya19

Answer by Tanya19 at 10:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I use highchairs and booster seats with my 2 1/2 year old twins. We us the highchairs in the kitchen for breakfast, for coloring, for playing with play dough, for "helping" us cook, etc. We use the booster seats at the dining table for dinner in the evenings when we all sit down to eat together; they can escape from the boosters, so I can only use them when everyone is sitting at the table. They have lunch and snacks at daycare most days, and they sit at small cafeteria tables there. I'm tired of tripping over the highchairs, but I'm not ready to give up the one place I can still contain them!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 9:30 AM on Jan. 12, 2010