My male cat is peeing around the house and it's driving me crazy!

He is going to be neutured in a week and a half (I have to rely on a ride to the vet and to get paid) and he wants to go outside all the time! I want for him to be an indoor cat but he has learnt how to open the patio doors byhimself (I had to see it to believe it too!!!) He is about 9 months and we've had him since he was 3 months. He hasen't always been like this but since his brother had to be put down he has started behaving differently. I'm not sure if it's because he lost his brother or because he's getting older and just trying to pull crap.
He has now started to pee on my purse if I leave it in the hall closet on the floor or if there's a plastic bag on the floor. Yesturday he peed in out vent at the front hall. There's a horrible smell now that we are having such a hard time getting rid of. Why is he doing this?????? What can I do, he seems to pee more when he can't get out. His litter is cleaned daily.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Pets

• He could be marking but there is also a chance that he has a bladder infections. How long ago did his brother pass because he could be acting out because of that. When my sisters 19 year old cat her then youngest cat starting spraying like crazy. What it was was that Beauty had be the dominant one and when he died hobbs did not know what to do. Hobbs had to go on valium for awhile and then eventually was weened off and did fine. You might want to try a comfort zone with feliway plug in.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Your cat is turning into a tomcat. He is peeing on everything to scent mark his territory, attract females, etc. He is ready to mate and wants to mate desperately. It has nothing to do with the litter box. This is also why he wants to get out of your house, and why he sprays more when trapped inside. Honestly, you should have had him neutered 3 months ago. If you wait until they start spraying to get them neutered, they sometimes won't stop even after they are neutered, and then you have a problem on your hands. Good luck with this one....
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 4:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• What is feliway plug? I do understand that we should have had him neutured a while ago. We actually had both cat's scheduled to be neutured the thursday after we had Leo put down. It's sort of selfish on my part I guess. It was so hard holding a kitten, he was only 5 months when I held his tiny sick little body. It was also hard telling my 3 kids, my baby dosen't get it and keeps calling Moses by his brother's name. I guess you could say I've been avoiding the vet's and letting excuses get in the way.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 11, 2010