What to do with a kid on a sleep over?

I am having my kids first sleep over with school friends in 2 weeks.
My son is 5 and is having one of his best friends over.
My daughter is 4 and is having one, possibly two girls from her class over.
What can I do with them? Any tips suggestions would be great.
So far I think I'll have the kids make pizzas for dinner. Maybe I'll have the girls make the pizzas and salad and the boys make an apple crisp for dessert.(my son makes an awesome apple crisp!)
I was thinking then I would let the kids watch a movie, if they don't want to watch the same movie then I'll let them go to different rooms to watch different movies.
That takes care of the evening. The next day though should I just let them play or should I try to have things planned for them? I'll likely take them out in the snow but I'll have them till about dinner the next day
Help me out, what do you do with your kids on sleepovers????

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter is 5 and she has sleepovers frequently whether I am babysitting for my friends or whether its just a sleepover. It's not too young. I think what you have planned for the evening sounds fun, and for the next day you may want to have a flexible plan, in case they get bored with playing. www.familyfun.com always has awesome craft and game and recipe ideas for young kids too.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My honest opinion is that those ages are much to young for a sleepover.

Anyway...
    Anonymous

• Shrinky Dinkys! Kids love them and they are good for boys and girls!!!

Decorate pillow cases
    Anonymous

• We always do a craft the next morning - Michael's and AC Moore have some great, inexpensive stuff for kids to do. But my kids didn't start having sleepovers until at least 1st grade.

Answer by missanc at 4:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My kids have been having sleepover's for some time now.
    They have had kids here and gone to friends houses too. Not to houses of families we didn't know. My daughter slept over at my bestfriends house with her kids last summer, they were 3. Since my son and his best buddy were 2 they have been having sleep overs. They call his mom Aunt and I trust them completely with my kids my daughter has joined them before but now that they are older the sleepover's with her are different.
    The boy my son is having over I have know for over a year now. I got to know his family very well last summer when we all went camping together.
    The other is the daughter of a friend who I've know since the girls were babies.
    I thought it would be fun, especially for my daughter because it will be her first real girl sleep over.
    Please share what you do with kids on sleep overs
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 4:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Plan on having them all go home in the middle of the night or at bedtime. That is too young for sleepovers. I doubt they will make it to morning.
    Anonymous

• April you said my favorite word, Michaels!!!! I'll head there sometime before the sleepover and let the kids pick an activity to do! I also have some clay beads the girls can paint and make necklaces with, I love it! Tell me more!!!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I wasn't the one who said Michaels. Gotta give credit where credit is due! missanc that is a good idea! I love michaels, and my daughter loves their foam sticker kits and their little inexpensive painting crafts.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• ooops sorry missanc GREAT IDEA!!!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I agree that children are too young to sleep away from their parents (or VERY familiar other adults) before the age of 6 or 7.

Not only is it early to pull them away from the familiarity, but young children's bodies are growing so fast that they get overwhelmed and cranky very easily.

As a pre-school teacher, I advise that you watch the rhythm of what you are having them do ... active for a while, passive for a while ... so that you are not making them get strung out. Making the food is active ... movies are passive. I would pause after 30 minutes of movie watching for some sort of intermission - serving the dessert, perhaps. Give their little limbs a chance to move around, and their eyes a break from staring at the video.

In the morning, if you want to forestall crankiness have good wholesome hot food with breakfast and be very cheerful. Let them be active and then settle down with them all on the couch and (cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2010