Do you think parents these days are creating more of a product rather than children?

Shows like Toddlers in Tiaras and there's a documentary about parents trying to get their baby into a university "nursery school" so that their children will be able to go to Harvard or what not, and then there's the program that teaches your child how to read before they're even in pre-school.

Do you think it's more about parents not wanting an average, normal child and more about creating a "product" that will help them make money in the future?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 4:55 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have to LOL at some of the moms on that Tiara show. One actually started crying that she never got to be in a pagent as a kid. And another who was yelling at the poor child. Ugh. Thousands of dollars this one mom was spending and she lived in a trailer!!! Im sure her money could have been spent a little wiser or even put into a college fund. Just nuts.
    Anonymous

• I think that is just to make the ratings on tv and all those reality shows seem to be able to do that. I do not agree with those shows I think it's ridiculous, but I do agree that knowledge is power and it's never to early to start your children with the learning process.
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I'm not agaisnt kids learnig at an early stage but why not let them learn at their own pace? My daughter is pretty smart for her age. She figures things out, she can identify letters in her books and colors and numbers. There are some words she CAN read and she remembers alot of things. So I think kids can be smart without spending money on programs and expensive nursery schools.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 5:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I don't watch these shows. They are just for ratings as all reality shows are. But a child is never to young to learn.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• nah i wasn't saying buying programs and what not, i meant reading and writing and just introducing different things to your child thats what i meant i think all those programs and shows are just a load of crap!!
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• What makes me sad is people that push their kids to read at 3 and do algebra at 5 and be the most advanced in their class but never teach them how to do their own laundry, cook for themselves or a myriad of other basic skills that all people should learn, even children.
    My kids might not have known all their ABCs when they started kindergarten but they could make their own sandwiches, use a microwave, dress themselves, shower themselves, clean up after themselves, etc. My 3 1/2yo can do more then some kids I know that are 9 and 10 because their parents never let them do anything for themselves or think they are too young or think it's mom's job to do it all for them. We call them "living skills" and they are just as important as stuff you learn in school.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• You forgot the the sports parents even more of them than pageant and academic freak parents. Where I live they don't start boys into Kindergarten until 6 or 7 so they will be bigger for Football and Wrestling. It is crazy.
    Anonymous

• I definitely think there is too much of this going on. From beauty pageants to nazi-like team coaches, parents are talking the CHILD out of childhood. Pressure to grow up too fast, be the best at every damn thing, instead of GIVING your best, enjoying themselves, and learning life lessons.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 7:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• i think sometimes parents want kids to grow up to fast.. my kids are normally kids they get dirty and learn at their own pace. I dont expect them to read a book at the age of 3 and I dont expect them to get into Harvard when they are older but I let them make decisions by themselves too. I think parents need to let kids be kids and not push them to be smarter or grow up faster than they already are.
    Merediths_Mommy

Answer by Merediths_Mommy at 7:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I definitely know some people who seem to look at their kids as if they were programming a computer- they think if they do 'x, y, and z' they will get 'x, y, and z' back. For instance, I can remember one of my friends telling me when her dd was an infant that her daughter would not want to play competitive sports because she, the mom, did not want her child to play competitive sports and she would tell her daughter this and her daughter would agree. She had NO concept that her daughter might have an opinion that differed from her own, or that simply telling her daughter what she thought she should like in no way guaranteed her actually liking that thing.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2010