Serving Fondant?

Do you peel the fondant off before you cut and serve a cake? Or do you serve the cake with the fondant on? What if it's store bought fondant and probably not the best tasting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• nope keep it on, it is place of frosting, I know it looks pretty, but I will take good old butter cream any day!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My sister has made all but two of my kid's bday cakes (comes to a total of 8 cakes) and all have had fondant on them as detailing.. We've always left it on and cut and served that way. And since it is in fact edible, I'd leave it up to the person who's eating the piece with it on it. I don't suggest using it in place of frosting though because I personally hate the taste of it. I'm with kimigogo on the butter cream idea!
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 5:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• You leave it on, but you can flavor it so it doesnt taste bad. Also make sure you put regular frosting under it. It A) helps the fondant stay in place and B) helps the taste!
    Anonymous

• Leave it on or else you have a messy looking cake. People can eat around it if they don't like it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• You leave it on when you cut it, but I always remove fondant before eating. It reminds me of those snowball cakes with that nasty coconut marshmallow thing. It's pretty to look at, but give me a rich buttercream, whipped cream, or cream cheese frosting any day..
    Anonymous