When is the first time you can give a baby food?

Misslady2010

Asked by Misslady2010 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well the RECOMMENDED age is 6 months some start cereal around 4 months i personally started my ds on baby food at 2 and a half months he doesnt like the cereal at all it's up to you and how your child reacts to it
    Anonymous

• No less than 6 months. Babies stomaches are not developed nor mature enough to handle anything before that age.
    Anonymous

• My Son was eating bland baby foods, like apple sauce and pear sauce at 4 months. Its not reccomended "normally" but he was exceeding the "Recommended" amount of needed fluid (formula) a day b/c he was hungry. So my doctor said to start letting him have a little apple sauce or rice cereal --which he hated the cereal.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 5:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 5:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• At the earliest, 4 months and it has to be stage 1 foods, no green foods, only 1 flavor of food or juice per 72hrs(this will help pin point allergies should it arise!). You can add baby cereal to food or formula. Enough to get food thick, and .5-1oz cereal to 8oz formula. My db liked the gerber cereal with apple or banana; but again 1 flavor per 72hrs!!! I would start flavored rice cereal in the formula at night time feedings and see how your db adjusts. If you think your baby is ready, have a quick chat with doc over concerns and or questions(doubt) you may have!!! GL, have fun and enjoy!!! YAY, baby's getting big and hungrier!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Well, I hope you're giving food form birth...in the form of breastmilk or formula. (I don't know why everyone thinks baby's FIRST food isn't REAL food.) **grin**

If formula fed, solids may begin at four months. If breastfed, six months.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• my son was ready at 4 months he did everything early and i felt he was ready so i gave it to him and he loves it! so if you think your babies ready try some baby food and see how they react. my son didnt like rice cereal so he didnt start out on that i tried and he didnt like it
    katieBennett

Answer by katieBennett at 5:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I tried with my oldest when she was about 4 months. She wasn't ready and didn't want it for a long time. I waited with my 2nd until she was 6 or more months.

My little boy is only 4 months old. I do not regularly give him anything but breastmilk. I have a sister who gives him little tastes of stuff when she sees him. I figure, it's harmless and she doesn't see him very often. Rather than hurt her feelings and make everyone feel bad, I just let it go.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 6:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• 4 months.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Solids? I'd say no sooner then 6 mos. Others may say differently. Table food? Again, not sooner then 6 mos, more likely closer to 9-12 mos. When baby can pick it up and feed it to themselves.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2010