Juice --- Bad/Good??

ok so people say your child needs juice. I posted a question about Orange Juice earlier today and I got "Its just sugar" Doesnt it contain V-C?? Doesnt other juices have more nutrition then "Sugar"??? Why else would doctors say to get it to your toddler?? And I got those comments without even being asked what kind of juice i'm giving. Its not the cheapo fake stuff. Its 100 percent juice.

So whats the deal??? Why do I hear 50/50 about juice being bad or good.

Super09Mom

Asked by Super09Mom at 5:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Doctor's don't say to give juice to your toddler.
    Anonymous

• mine did. He had me starting him on juice in a cup before he was a year old. along with every mother i know "in real life"
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 5:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• even WIC gives babies under a year old 1 container of juice a week!
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 5:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Some moms seem to think juice is bad because its more "concentrated" fruit sugars. I think juice is fine as long as its in moderation. You don't want your child filling up on juice and not eating other things. Also, I watered down my kids juice 50/50 up til they were about 2. Yes, 100% juice DOES contain vitamins and minerals. It is especially good for someone who has a picky eater that won't eat certain fruits or vegetables. Its better for them to get a variety through juice than just to eat one or two vegetables and fruit with no variety. Whole fruit IS healthier than juice, there is no argument on that, simply because they get the fiber from it. But IMO and according to all my pediatricians I've ever talked to, juice is FINE in moderation.
    SOME HELPFUL INFO:

Per CUP of orange juice:

Vit. A 10% RDA
    Vit C 207%
    Thiamin 15%
    Folate 19%
    Potassium 14%
    Calcium 3%
    Calories 112
    Sugars 20.8 g (but not refined sugars!!)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• And yes, my kids 4 different pediatricians said GIVE them juice.
    AprilDJC

• I have never seen scientific data in favor of juice. I have seen data on both sides of the milk debate (I am against). I have only seen data in favor of water, never any against (we are not taking about infants, ok?)

Answer by rkoloms at 5:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I think it A) depends on the child B) depends on the parents.

First of all, I see nothing wrong with giving your child juice. Make sure you brush his/her teeth when they are done, though. OJ is really not a great juice to give small children because it is so acidic, so I would be careful (depending on how old your child is). Second, WIC people are stupid, so if that is your only reason for wanting to give you child juice, don't. Third, my pediatrician DID tell me to give my DD juice (watered down, of course), and only up to 4 oz a day. Juice does have many nutritional benefits, but it is easy for parents to over-do it, which is why there is a lot of caution with it. I agree, water is way more important, but juice isn't all bad, or all sugar like some people are saying.
    Anonymous

• I was told to give my dd juice because of her diminishing appetite! I've given her orange juice but I was told it was a little too acidic for their tummies... and i've been told by dr's and WIC that juice boxes aren't as good for a toddler as real fruit juices. Pretty much, just check the label and you'll know if it should be given to a toddler. I was also told to increase the amount of water a toddler gets, mix juice with 2-3 parts water and don't give them juice at bedtime.
    Anonymous

• First of all, ALL WIC employees have college degrees. They are not stupid. They study to work in the field they are in and take many nutrition classes. Second, my sons doctor said it is fine to give them up to 6oz of juice a day. just make sure they brush their teeth. As long as it's 100% fruit juice it shouldn't matter.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 5:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I AGREE FULLY: Some moms seem to think juice is bad because its more "concentrated" fruit sugars. I think juice is fine as long as its in moderation. You don't want your child filling up on juice and not eating other things. Also, I watered down my kids juice 50/50 up til they were about 2. Yes, 100% juice DOES contain vitamins and minerals. It is especially good for someone who has a picky eater that won't eat certain fruits or vegetables. Its better for them to get a variety through juice than just to eat one or two vegetables and fruit with no variety. Whole fruit IS healthier than juice, there is no argument on that, simply because they get the fiber from it. But IMO and according to all my pediatricians I've ever talked to, juice is FINE in moderation.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2010