Do you care if your child grows up to be smart or not?

Let's face it, not everyone grows up to be great in school and not everyone is the sharpest tool in the tool shed. So would it matter to you if your child grows up to be...not so great in school?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 5:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Great in school, no. Stupid? Yes, I'd be devastated. There's no excuse for stupidity, what so ever.
    Anonymous

• I expect my son to bring home grades that he is capable of making. He is capable of making A's therefore that is what is expected of him.

And yes if my son was "stupid" I would be heart broken. Sorry, just honest.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:08 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• All that really matters to me is that he tries his hardest.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 5:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I hope he grows up smart, if not at least good looking so he can get a smart wife!!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• my mom always thought I was capable of making better grades, I was diagnosed at age 30 with ADHD which in young girls will come accross as lazy or not giving showing their full potential - easier to diagnose with boys due to the hyper activity part - I did not have that. So I am not stupid but was barely making a D average. it was frustrating and devistating because I STILL want to read and learn and can't. My husband also has ADHD so the chances of my son getting it are good, but I hope we will be able to treat him or find accurate tutors earlier so school isn't so hard and hope he breaks the cycle and makes something of himself, i will always be proud of him, as long as he is happy and does his best.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• All we ask is that our daughter always does her best work

Answer by rkoloms at 5:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I think most parents want their kids to be "smart" and will still love them if they aren't. However, I think that every parent is different, and their ideas of "smart" are probably different than yours.
    Anonymous

• I wasn't smart and in some ways I think my parents...and my brothers....always hold that against me. Because I wasn't the straight A student like my brothers they never take anything I say seriously. To me, getting good grades in school doesn't mean you're smart it just means you did the work.

I would be proud of my daughter whether she was smart or not. Some kids are good at school, others are good at something else. THere's no wrong or right way to get through life.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 5:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I want my kids to grow up happy and healthy. I don't care if they are genius or not.
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 5:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Yes, I do care if my children are smart. Of course, but I don't expect them to be straight A students. I wan them to give thier best effort.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2010