• In the Spotlight:

how long does it take when you stop breast feeding

for your boobs to dry up?

katieBennett

Asked by katieBennett at 5:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your boobs probably wont dry up til your baby is one, you might as well nurse til then.
    Anonymous

• Milk can be there for a year or more.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• see i didnt want to completely stop nursing yet but my son wont even take my boob anymore and if he does he just bites on it likes its a pacifier and it hurts a lot because he has 2 teeth already
    katieBennett

Answer by katieBennett at 5:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• You dont have to stop, you could pump and feed the milk in a bottle, or stop offering bottles and teach him what NO means. Its painful to be used as a pacifier, but the benefits of receiving breastmilk far outweighs the discomfort of discovering teeth and nursing.
    Anonymous

• It can take more than a year; don't worry about that now. www.babyledweaning.com

Answer by rkoloms at 5:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• It can take over a year. I still got drops after 3 years.
    Anonymous

• ok im done breastfeeding and dont want to start it again i just want to know how long it takes after you stop nursing to dry up enough so you dont have to wear nursing pads
    katieBennett

Answer by katieBennett at 5:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• No reason to keep wearing nursing bras. If you are leaking you can use breast pads, but you can wear those under any bra. The Lansinoh pads are very thin if you need some.

Typically any leaking shouldn't last very long at all.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 6:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• if your engorged use cabbage leaves. Just take a leaf off the head of cabbage and stuff it in your bra when it gets warm take it out and put a new one in. In just a few days you'll be pretty dried up and you will no longer hurt from being engorged. For it to fully dry up where even if you pinched the nipple nothing would come out ... that could take months to a year.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My boobs felt like bricks for about 4 days. I think I dried up after a month or so completely. It's different for every mom
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2010