Why are so many people afraid to examine their own beliefs?

It seems here on CM, there are quite a few people who do not like their beliefs to be quesitoned, or examined. Why are you here on this question/answer forum then? If you are unsure in your beliefs, why get angry at others for asking questions?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because people care about what other people think of them too often. They just need to take everything with a grain of salt. Everyone has their own opinions, doesn't mean that they are right or wrong. People are just too sensitive.

NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• that is a big assumption.

however, I am responsible for my beliefs and examining them. If you, she or the next guy is or is not afraid to examine their beliefs that is not my problem or issue to deal with.

I think it is inappropriate to ask or even answer why someone other than myself does or does not want to examine their beliefs.

Question for you OP. Why do you care if I do or do not examine my beliefs?
    Anonymous

• Why do you care if others want to examine their own beliefs? Personally I am always questioning my values and beliefs. Others just believe what they believe and that is that. I D K why people are the way they are. I know me.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I take CM for what it is: Its an internet site. It is what it is. There are genuine mamas out there. I liked your question but you were right, it got hijacked because I was about to answer and "poof" it disappeared.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Why are you here on this question/answer forum then?
    ---Because I want to be here and I can. Why have you decided this forum is about examining one's beliefs?

why get angry at others for asking questions?

--some get angry some don't. However, I have been told I was angree or felt attacked and it was not at all how I felt. So it is possible you THINK a person is angry but they are not.

Anonymous

• Ask me questions! Ask me questions!!!!

LMAO, yes it does seem that way... kind of frightening in fact, that anyone could commit to belief in ANYTHING without first examining it, and doing so on a regular basis when new information is presented to them... :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Well, in some areas I feel no need to examine my beliefs any further because I put a LOT of thought into everything and have ALREADY formed my beliefs. However, if it's something that I've never really contemplated or considered, I'm all for examining the issue. I think it would be ignorant not to. I try to make informed decisions, and I do tend to re-examine my thoughts towards some things on a regular basis. Being close-minded is not appealing to me. However...if someone asks for my opinion, I'll give it, even if they don't like it. I've always been that way.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• cafemom is not beliefs examining place. If I want to examine my beliefs or even question them I will in a more private one on one fashioin.
    Anonymous

• I don't mind getting my beliefs examined or questioned. I know what I believe and why I believe it. I am confident and comfortable in my faith.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 6:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Because they are afraid it will further weaken their already insecure faith.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2010