Bad at making friends. Advice on breaking the ice?

So I've lived here for 4 yrs to be with my DH, but haven't managed to make a single friend. I have customers at work that I'm very friendly with, but theres kind of a customer/worker wall there... One lady I've chatted with for a few years now gave me her number a while back & we always say we should hang out, but just haven't yet. we both have kids, so I mentioned going to the zoo... I know we both have tomarrow off. Should I call her tonight to see if she wants to go, so she can leave herself open, or should I just call in the morning? If I call tonight and she says yes, do we just make firm plans then, or do I tell her to call me when she's on her way? I don't wanna come off too pushy, but I also am insecure about getting blown off, so how do I do it?Clearly, I am a social dunce, so

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• I would call her tonight and just let her know that you are going to the zoo tomorrow, and that she is more than welcome to come if she wants to. No pressure. You can let her know what time you will be there, and just have her call you if she wants to go. Then you are not putting pressure on her, and the ball is in her court.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Agree with Nat. I'm socially awkward as well. I sometimes just force myself to go for it and am pleasantly surprised that I have a good time most of the time. I hope that is the case for you at the zoo tomorrow as well.
    Anonymous

• So, yeah, i called her last night and left a message... She hasn't called back... I just don't understand whuy people say things like, "yeah! We need to hang out! Call me" Then don't ever actually answer their phone or return messages. Maybe something about me just attracts flakey people, so then I wind up virtually friendless... I swear, I finally meet the perfect man and get married, now I pine for friends... Just someone to come over once in a while for a cup of coffee or to go shopping with once in a while. People seem to like me at work. They just don't want to hang out with me afterwork! So I work, then come home, and my days off are lonely...
    Anonymous